Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 1, 2026, 4:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Ask a (secular) home schooler
#7
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler
(June 7, 2015 at 2:16 am)rexbeccarox Wrote: Aroura, I think that is amazing.  I was at a gathering last night, having a chat with a couple of close friends when I brought up your... situation(? I hate that word, maybe due to that awful Jersey Shore, but I can't think of a better one in my stoned state).  One of them has a twelve-year-old going through the common core stuff, and we were talking about how very strange it is. I was saying that if I had the kid and the resources, I would totally homeschool my (admittedly, imaginary) kid, have him or her involved in social groups, like the scouts (I was a GS camp counselor back in the day), and have him or her take the tests to get into a good university program if that's what they wanted.

How do you feel about the homeschooling thing?  Do you enjoy it?  Do you think it has a net benefit for your kid?  You?  Do you guys have a good working relationship?

Thanks a bunch Rebecca. Smile  I really appreciate the support!
It's ok, situation is as good a word as any, lol

If you do have a kid someday, don't be afraid to try it!  It's daunting on the surface, but no so bad once you start doing it.

Let's see, I feel that homeschooling has been great for my kid.  She's really had a chance to excel in some areas, and to go at her own pace overall, which I think is the best part of homeschooling for her. I really hope there is a net benefit for her!  I think it's one of those things I'll be constantly gaging as we go.  But so far she's already well into 3rd grade curriculum, and she never complains on school days, she seems to enjoy what we do....so it all seems to be working well for her, so far.

We do have a good working relationship, I think.  Sometimes I lose my patience, but I have never told her she must do a things just because I say so, so she will point out if she thinks I'm being harsh or pushy, or if she thinks she needs more space or practice on something.  I beleive in treating her a bit like a little adult, so although I'm the teacher and mom and she respects that, she also respects her own reasoning and isn't afraid to tell me if she thinks I'm wrong about something. Smile

Do I enjoy it?  That one is tougher.  Because of my anxiety thing and narcolepsy, I can get overwhelmed.  Fortunately, my husband has loosened up a bit on the "schedule" thing, and lets us enjoy the more flexible schedule that homeschooling can provide.  So if I teach for a couple hours in the morning, then require a nap, I will put in a Bill Nye video, or something we picked up at the library, or something educational (recently she wanted to learn about the American Revolution, and I found this great PBS series call Liberty's Kids), and she will eat lunch and watch that while I have a nap.  So sometimes we'll still be doing school at 4pm.  But whatever, it's working for us. Smile

I do enjoy feeling that I'm doing the best I can for my kid.  At the same time, I know it is taking a bit of a toll on my (mental) health.  But I think it's a fair trade. Smile
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Reply



Messages In This Thread
Ask a (secular) home schooler - by Aroura - June 7, 2015 at 2:00 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Goosebump - June 7, 2015 at 2:09 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Aroura - June 7, 2015 at 2:18 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by rexbeccarox - June 7, 2015 at 2:16 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Aroura - June 7, 2015 at 2:31 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by rexbeccarox - June 7, 2015 at 2:47 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Aroura - June 7, 2015 at 3:04 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Goosebump - June 7, 2015 at 2:23 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Aroura - June 7, 2015 at 2:43 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Exian - June 7, 2015 at 2:24 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Whateverist - June 7, 2015 at 2:39 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Aroura - June 7, 2015 at 2:46 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schooler - by Whateverist - June 7, 2015 at 12:38 pm
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Exian - June 7, 2015 at 2:49 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schooler - by Whateverist - June 7, 2015 at 12:46 pm
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Goosebump - June 7, 2015 at 2:52 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by rexbeccarox - June 7, 2015 at 3:10 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schooler - by Pyrrho - June 7, 2015 at 1:09 pm
RE: Ask a (secular) home schooler - by Aroura - June 7, 2015 at 2:03 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Ask a firearms enthusiast deleted 41 24234 June 8, 2023 at 9:17 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Ask someone completely disillusioned about Americanism. Jackalope 35 21081 March 21, 2022 at 10:12 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Ask a trans. Jehanne 20 14905 January 3, 2022 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Ask an Uber driver. Goosebump 1 4233 January 2, 2022 at 6:01 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Ask a critic T.J. 16 9568 January 2, 2022 at 5:19 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Ask a poor person BrokenQuill92 49 27042 December 9, 2021 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Ask a woman who just turned 50. Divinity 41 22437 November 30, 2021 at 9:01 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Ask a dog mom BrokenQuill92 16 11244 November 30, 2021 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Ask Eleven Kitan Etos 36 21312 June 26, 2021 at 9:33 am
Last Post: Frank Apisa
  [Serious] Ask an American expat Jackalope 12 7908 January 12, 2021 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Jackalope



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)