Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 27, 2024, 8:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Prisoners be set Free When Their "Crime" Becomes Legal?
RE: Should Prisoners be set Free When Their "Crime" Becomes Legal?
(June 11, 2015 at 7:43 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: ...
How to drive, parking, braking, etc. are important laws to protect the rights of other motorists; wearing a seatbelt isn't, IMO.

If you are judged to be at fault in an accident (whether rightly or wrongly), the punishment you get will likely depend on whether the other person wore a seatbelt or helmet.  Do you think it is fair that one is punished differently based on what someone else does, that one has no control over?

Also, these things affect insurance rates, and that affects us all.  Do you think you have the right to drive up my insurance costs?  Basically, insurance will need to be higher if people are allowed to not wear seatbelts and helmets, because there will be greater injuries, and consequently greater expenses associated with accidents.  Consequently, insurance rates must be higher to cover that extra cost.  Frankly, I don't want to pay higher insurance rates because some moron does not want to wear a seatbelt or helmet, even though their head obviously has nothing in it worth protecting.

So we are talking about something that does have an impact on other people.  When you do something that impacts other people, shouldn't they have some say in the matter?

Since you seem to have a libertarian streak, remember, we are talking about laws regarding the use of public roads, not what people do on their own private property.  When you are on property that is not your own, you typically must conform to requirements of the owner of the property to remain there.  In this case, the owner of the property requires the use of seatbelts and helmets, or you are not allowed to drive there.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Should Prisoners be set Free When Their "Crime" Becomes Legal? - by Pyrrho - June 11, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should public transportation be free? Fake Messiah 41 3751 July 26, 2022 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Should I stay or should I go? POLITICAL op/ed Brian37 53 8349 August 26, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Are religions that preach inequality for women and gays, traitors to their country? Greatest I am 129 8075 February 8, 2021 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Let’s take their guns BrokenQuill92 141 11982 November 22, 2020 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Incest should be legal because homosexuality is Rein83 52 6867 August 6, 2019 at 5:54 pm
Last Post: viocjit
  Two Old Pros - Doing Their Thing Minimalist 8 1266 November 28, 2018 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Palestinian rock throwing, but isnt that against their religion? Kimbi 1 593 September 4, 2018 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  FOX Being Dragged Down By Their Anchor Minimalist 10 1876 August 23, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Fools And Their Money! Minimalist 10 1378 May 18, 2018 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Finally Fox [Faux] News is being called out for their shit NuclearEnergy 3 1624 December 16, 2017 at 12:11 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician