Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 4:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 1.57 Average
Proving The Resurrection By the Minimal Facts Approach
RE: Proving The Resurrection By the Minimal Facts Approach
(July 5, 2015 at 11:43 am)Esquilax Wrote:
(July 5, 2015 at 8:08 am)Randy Carson Wrote: I provided a link to an article in which WLC discusses the role of the Holy Spirit, and this article, while not directly written in response to the charge you are making, may give you some insight into what he is or was thinking.

I think you may be misunderstanding me? I was referring to Craig's use of the Borde-Guth-Vilenkin theorem to confirm Kalam.

Yes, I know. We are talking about two things: the Borde-Guth-Vilenkin theorem and the statement that pandaemonium quoted in which WLC states his position regarding the testimony of the Holy Spirit.

I linked to an article that I thought might help explain the latter.

Quote:With regards to Craig's ideas about the holy spirit, I've actually seen that article before, while researching another debate about Craig I was having; it has problems up the wazoo.

For starters, Craig lists a set of criteria by which the model of christian theism stands, the first being:

Quote:(i) it is epistemically possible, that is to say, for all we know, it may be true;

And we have a problem right there, because epistemic possibility needs to be demonstrated, not merely asserted. When it comes to many of the claims of christian theism we have no evidence that they are possible in any way. I don't think I'm saying anything controversial when I point out that only possible things may well be true, so without some verification that the miracle claims central to the religion are possible, we certainly cannot say they could be true. This is a, to use Craig's words, de facto objection to christianity; if the miracle claims are not possible, then they cannot be factually true.

I also have problems with Craig's justification of his belief in christianity: when asked how he knows christianity is true, he says that he knows because he feels the holy spirit. The obvious next question is, how does he know that's what he's feeling?

That's kind of the important part of this, here; Craig asserts subjective feelings that cannot be measured, cannot be shared, and cannot be reliably replicated in others. They don't apply to any external referent or being; it's literally all in his head. So how does he know that he's applying the correct label to that feeling, when he calls it the holy spirit? He doesn't say, and so we're back at the same unspoken premises, that he can't be wrong about his subjective experiences, that he can't be fooled by his brain chemistry, that he can't be given additional information later that will show him something different, and so on.

Craig asserts certainty where none can be found. That's the problem with this argument, not that it's circular. It's not circular, it's just utterly baseless and presuppositional.

You can always send him your questions directly via his website...

Messages In This Thread
RE: Proving The Resurrection By the Minimal Facts Approach - by Randy Carson - July 5, 2015 at 11:50 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proving evolution? LinuxGal 24 2886 March 19, 2023 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  What will win the god wars? Faith, Fantasy, Facts, or God? Greatest I am 98 6892 December 28, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  In what way is the Resurrection the best explanation? GrandizerII 159 16139 November 25, 2019 at 6:46 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Travis Walton versus The Resurrection. Jehanne 61 15975 November 29, 2017 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why do Christians believe in the Resurrection of Jesus but not alien abductions? Jehanne 72 12111 June 27, 2016 at 1:54 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  We can be certain of NO resurrection - A Response Randy Carson 136 38394 October 2, 2015 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Disproving The Resurrection By The Maximal Facts Approach BrianSoddingBoru4 160 25853 July 5, 2015 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Obama and the simulated resurrection professor 116 18526 April 25, 2015 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  MERGED: The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Part 1) & (Part 2) His_Majesty 1617 335402 January 12, 2015 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Part Ad Neuseum) YahwehIsTheWay 32 7357 December 11, 2014 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: robvalue