Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is God’s justice close to an eye for an eye?

There are many references in scripture that indicate that an eye for an eye is good justice. This notion that a penalty should fit the crime has even been adopted by most legal system in the world.

Leviticus 24:20 Breach for breach, eye for eye, tooth for tooth: as he hath caused a blemish in a man, so shall it be done to him again.

This rather good policy is often contradicted in other scriptures that call for death to sinners who have done much less in terms of harm or sin than causing a death. We are told to stone unruly children, fornicators, witches and so on to a rather long list.

God himself has either killed or had killed many, even children and babies who in no way could have killed anyone.

Scripture tells us to revere life yet God and many of the laws attributed to him seem to ignore completely any reverence to life. In fact, to me, scriptures seem to make life an extremely cheap commodity even as it shows how important we are supposed to be to God. His greatest achievement in fact that even angels are to bow before.

Should an eye for an eye be re-written by God and the bible to read ------ an eye for whatever the hell God, Jesus and the scriptures say?

This immoral killing goes right back to Eden with God killing Adam and Eve for following scripture and emulating God.

Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

When they did as asked, and this was recognized by God himself; Gen 3: 22 Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: He killed them by withholding the tree of life.

This issue of indiscriminate killing is an important contradiction in scriptures.

What do you think God’s law is?

An eye for an eye or the punishment should fit the sin; or, kill even if the victim to be has not come anywhere near killing?

Regards
DL

http://www.youtube.com/user/TurpisHaeret...ny-CDU4EFs

http://www.evilbible.com/god%27s%20not%20pro-life.htm

Messages In This Thread
Is God’s justice close to an eye for an eye? - by Greatest I am - January 13, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Trying close to my best to rationalize Christianity sausagerock 65 6295 January 29, 2020 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  The illusion of justice, sin and free will dyresand 17 4297 October 15, 2015 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  The Human Eye: A Double Standard? Rhondazvous 84 9708 May 2, 2015 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Shouldn't there be more Christians with eye patches? BrokenQuill92 33 7884 February 2, 2014 at 9:57 am
Last Post: Tonus
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12466 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  My close encounter with a Facebook xtian Cyberman 11 4687 March 8, 2013 at 8:50 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Where's the Justice? FallentoReason 129 61520 July 17, 2012 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Thor
  Where's the justice? FallentoReason 77 35308 May 24, 2012 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  Tired of xtians prattling on about their "eye-witness" testimony? Minimalist 22 10157 April 27, 2012 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Democracy, religion, women and equality. Justice demands affirmative action. Greatest I am 47 23962 February 16, 2012 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am