Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My close encounter with a Facebook xtian
My close encounter with a Facebook xtian
Just recently I seem to have inadvertantly sparked a little feud over a comment I left on this Facebook picture:

[Image: 644702_10151478269579483_1994291441_n.png]

I recycled an idea that I'm sure I used hereabouts at some point, namely

Quote:According to the mythology, Hell is supposed to be a place created by Yahweh deep under the Earth. The deepest you can get would be the planet core, made of iron. Which, coincidentally, Yahweh is powerless against. And this idiot is meant to be in charge of the Universe? I wouldn't trust it in charge of a bottle of piss.

It's just absird to me that Yahweh not only creates this impenetrable fortress made from the one thing it's powerless against, but also installs its mortal enemy in this realm and then spends the rest of eternity stocking it with what is essentially an ever-growing army of 'evil' and embittered souls. It'd be like if we'd set Osama bin Laden up on an island rich in plutonium and uranium deosits and then kept banishing all those terror suspects and extremist clerics to it. Not exactly the brightest bulb in the ideas box.

Anyway, as well as attracting nineteen upthumbs and a reply saying "[Stimbo], thanks for that. I'd never really seen that angle!", I also attracted this little rehashed nugget:

Quote:Totally false [Stimbo]. Hell is a spiritual place of torment and the absence of God.

I know. Yawn.

So being rather spoiled for choice on the angles to take, I went with:

Quote:Then, [name], you have created your own mythology. Congratulations; keep that up and pretty soon you'll have divorced yourself from the tyranny of xtian dogma altogether.

As for the "absence of god" thing, I already exist quite happily without the need for any god anyway. So the absence of something already absent is hardly a threat to me.

So far that's it; whether this lady bothers to follow up her remark remains to be seen of course. I know this hardly even rates as small potatoes as these things go. If I get a chance I'd like to go in sort of the direction of "God sends people to hell primarily for the unpardonable sin of not being gullible enough to blindly accept the least credible authorities" or words to that effect. Still early days but any comments/suggestions would be useful.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
RE: My close encounter with a Facebook xtian
I always find that "in the real world" people seem to live under a rock. Their arguments and train-of-thought are very inconsistent and irritating to have to deal with.

I remember last semester at uni when I was still a closet non-believer, I was sitting at the cafeteria with two Christian friends and the uni "pastor" who runs a weekly Christian meeting for anyone interested. One of my friends was having a hard time understanding why some people don't believe in Noah's flood: "Noah would have easily been able to build an ark big enough for all the animals, right? I mean it wouldn't have been that hard!" The amount of assumptions they subconsciously grant themselves just makes my head spin. This is why after my first 300+ comment debate on Facebook I promised myself never to speak my mind to the same depth that I do on here, because people aren't trained in basic logical fallacies, they haven't been exposed to fundamental issues of both sides... basically they simply aren't "mature" enough in the theist/atheist debate to efficiently debate like people on here do.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(March 6, 2013 at 2:01 am)Stimbo Wrote: Just recently I seem to have inadvertantly sparked a little feud over a comment I left on this Facebook picture:

Quote:According to the mythology, Hell is supposed to be a place created by Yahweh deep under the Earth. The deepest you can get would be the planet core, made of iron. Which, coincidentally, Yahweh is powerless against. And this idiot is meant to be in charge of the Universe? I wouldn't trust it in charge of a bottle of piss.

It's just absird to me that Yahweh not only creates this impenetrable fortress made from the one thing it's powerless against, but also installs its mortal enemy in this realm and then spends the rest of eternity stocking it with what is essentially an ever-growing army of 'evil' and embittered souls. It'd be like if we'd set Osama bin Laden up on an island rich in plutonium and uranium deosits and then kept banishing all those terror suspects and extremist clerics to it. Not exactly the brightest bulb in the ideas box.

Anyway, as well as attracting nineteen upthumbs and a reply saying "[Stimbo], thanks for that. I'd never really seen that angle!", I also attracted this little rehashed nugget:

Quote:Totally false [Stimbo]. Hell is a spiritual place of torment and the absence of God.

I know. Yawn.

Quote:Then, [name], you have created your own mythology. Congratulations; keep that up and pretty soon you'll have divorced yourself from the tyranny of xtian dogma altogether.

As for the "absence of god" thing, I already exist quite happily without the need for any god anyway. So the absence of something already absent is hardly a threat to me.

So far that's it; whether this lady bothers to follow up her remark remains to be seen of course. I know this hardly even rates as small potatoes as these things go. If I get a chance I'd like to go in sort of the direction of "God sends people to hell primarily for the unpardonable sin of not being gullible enough to blindly accept the least credible authorities" or words to that effect. Still early days but any comments/suggestions would be useful.

What if she askes you to provide Book Chapter and verse for you to proove your interpertation of the "orginal mythology?"
I think it's how you talk with people that can change their mind the most. I am having a conversation with a Christian on a regular basis, and it seems, we are making progress.

We discussed moral perception vs following authority/trust of authority. We are good friends. We do it with respect and not mockery. I listen to his arguments and show where I think he went wrong.

A lot of Christians are humble and have respect and will listen to reason if you don't talk down their beliefs in a condescending manner.
(March 6, 2013 at 2:01 am)Stimbo Wrote: Just recently I seem to have inadvertantly sparked a little feud over a comment I left on this Facebook picture:

I know. Yawn.

just start using bible verses really. but they`ll still get more butthurt probably and start the disrespectful rant. good luck i had a problem on FB a while back and boy was she incoherent.
The thing is that "some" atheists try to push up front the worst example they can find as a christian representative, to prove a point. Not that there's a lack of goofy candidates....but!

...as an example:

It kind of reminds me of when that ex-catholic priest from the mid west....Porter I think his name was got busted for molesting a hundred kids or more...including his own!

My fellow workers were all standing around joking and cussing about Porter, and one pipes-up and says:" Now, that's why I don't go to church." And the rest start nodding in agreement! So, I get mad and say: "why not use any excuse for not going to church? Or is this just a handy one for you?" crickets

My feeling is, if you have a good argument lets have at it! Leave the dog and pony show for entertainment. I can laugh, and/or complain about the gaffs in my religion......Why mix an argument with the show? It seems immature and divisive.
Quis ut Deus?
(March 7, 2013 at 1:08 am)Drich Wrote: What if she askes you to provide Book Chapter and verse for you to proove your interpertation of the "orginal mythology?"

You are now saying that the bible is not a good representation of christianity.

Every part of you brings me closer and closer to a full on rage stroke.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(March 7, 2013 at 2:46 pm)Esquilax Wrote:
(March 7, 2013 at 1:08 am)Drich Wrote: What if she askes you to provide Book Chapter and verse for you to proove your interpertation of the "orginal mythology?"

Is there really such a thing though? After all, the best representative of Christianity happened to be Jewish.
freedomfromfallacy » I'm weighing my tears to see if the happy ones weigh the same as the sad ones.
(March 7, 2013 at 3:03 pm)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:
(March 7, 2013 at 2:46 pm)Esquilax Wrote: You are now saying that the bible is not a good representation of christianity.

Is there really such a thing though? After all, the best representative of Christianity happened to be Jewish.

Eh, what do you expect? Their god's an atheist. Tongue
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(March 7, 2013 at 2:46 pm)Esquilax Wrote:

If I said that then why would I ask for book chapter and verse???

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Trying close to my best to rationalize Christianity sausagerock 65 6289 January 29, 2020 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  7 Pious Xtian Shits Who Stepped On Their Own Dicks Minimalist 0 882 October 12, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Kind of Shit Xtian Fucktards Teach Minimalist 12 2620 June 9, 2018 at 3:35 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  2011 post from Facebook regarding 2012 "rapture" Foxaèr 1 567 May 23, 2018 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Is there room for a xtian section in an atheist forum? Bow Before Zeus 70 9636 December 6, 2017 at 4:04 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  What xtian hymns sound like to an atheist drfuzzy 30 7909 September 22, 2017 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Here's A Xtian I'll Tip My Hat To Minimalist 0 840 April 9, 2017 at 8:04 pm
  I'm Tired of Xtian Shits With Their Silly Fairy Tales. Minimalist 2 1078 March 9, 2017 at 10:09 pm
  Why are the "laws" of physics so different as conceived by many xtian fundamentalist? Whateverist 22 4892 November 13, 2016 at 1:35 am
Last Post: Funky_Gibbon
  "heaven" meme on facebook drfuzzy 34 7736 May 2, 2016 at 4:44 am
Last Post: GUBU