Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Do you trust people enough to not have any religion?
Do you trust people enough to not have any religion?
Let me first say that I do not believe in objective morality in the sense of believing there is some cosmic judge waiting to punish those who do wrong.

My morality is based more on reciprocal altruism/trying to act in such a way that I want the world to act. I also happen to find value in doing things that I feel are good. Though as an atheist I cannot appeal to an absolute standard that would govern everyone.

Now I can/have a sense of morality/good/honesty without being told that I have to by some authority figure. I can see the inherent benefit/good in operating under moral guidelines such as honesty, empathy, love, peace, etc.

However for those who base their morality solely on a religion I sometimes worry that they may not be able to handle not being told what to do. If those inside of religion lost all faith would they be able to sustain a morality without it being a REQUIREMENT. I personally don't trust everyone that much but at the same time I do not believe religion is true.

It is a weird catch 22 for me but perhaps I am being unfair as I used to be religious and now that I am not I still have morality. However I also know that many people even inside of religion aren't the most moral so without any religion how much worse would they be? I was just wondering what your guys thoughts were on this.

Messages In This Thread
Do you trust people enough to not have any religion? - by Voltair - February 21, 2012 at 11:46 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you have any interest in the philosophies of introflection pioneered by Buddhism? Authari 67 2763 January 12, 2024 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Lightbulb Computers have been converted to Islam religion! AVMXF 40 2702 August 20, 2023 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 4970 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  I own an XBOX and that's good enough for me. Angrboda 5 462 July 9, 2023 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Jesus on the Gospel, not any Christian Church, and the Afterlife KerimF 31 1692 May 17, 2023 at 9:13 am
Last Post: KerimF
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1950 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1465 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  People are not 'Going to Hell' - they're already in Hell. The Kreisel 22 2407 February 18, 2021 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4250 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one? Fake Messiah 31 3201 July 17, 2019 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Losty