Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Australian High Court rules against public school chaplains
RE: Australian High Court rules against public school chaplains
(July 13, 2012 at 8:42 pm)padraic Wrote:
Quote:but a question about whether they should be funded by the federal government was the issue

THAT is unconstitutional. However, S116 of our constitution does NOT apply to the states.

I think the funding of school chaplains wad unconstitutional, because of the religious tests which were imposed as part of the position descriptions for the school chaplains. That clearly violated the fourth limb s.116 of the Australian Constitution. However everything else about the school chaplaincy program is technically constitutional given that outcome of Attorney-General (Vict.); Ex Rel. Black v. The Commonwealth (1981) 146 CLR 559 (aka the DOGS Case).

This country needs a bill of rights like that of the United States with same strict separation between church and state clause.

Quote:Are you being deliberately dense?

Democracy protects the rights of minorities,

IF there is to be a chaplains programme, ALL religions at a school must be represented. No child must be disadvantaged in any way.

Here in Australia there is growing insistence by non believing parents that ethics be taught to their children instead of religion.

The Greek ethicists predate Christianity by about 600 years. In my opinion,doing what one thinks of as right for its own sake is far more moral than doing so for the reward of heaven or fear of hell.

Given we are a multi-cultural, multi-faith society I would make the case for truly objective comprehensive education on religion as opposed to 'scripture classes', along with ethics classes as well. The current situation of allowing of organisations like Access Ministries and Scripture Union into state school classrooms and evangelising education (which they don't deny doing) is a scandal.

However this change can only come by the non-religious (who are between 30 to 50% of the nation's population) mobilising, so they can pressure the governments, education departments and school councils to rectify this shameful state of affairs.
undefined

Messages In This Thread
RE: Australian High Court rules against public school chaplains - by Justtristo - July 13, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Athiest parent sending child to Catholic school EchoEllis 36 5259 December 2, 2021 at 10:24 am
Last Post: brewer
  Public evangelist conversations Sayetsu 16 1865 January 1, 2021 at 2:01 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Supreme Court Rules Taxpayers Must Fund Religious Schools Duty 17 1536 July 2, 2020 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Fight religion in court verbral 19 2020 November 1, 2016 at 11:07 am
Last Post: brewer
  What should I do if I'm being forced to go to a Christian School? Socratic Meth Head 51 11627 June 10, 2016 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: abaris
  So, my son attends school at the church Easy Guns 44 9003 January 11, 2016 at 6:14 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Religious Rules that bother you the most Cecelia 47 6930 November 4, 2015 at 6:16 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Daughter objects to prayers at school TubbyTubby 48 7559 July 10, 2015 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Going to a Roman Catholic school and expressing my opinion. piterski123 7 3364 April 28, 2015 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
  the case against the case against god chris(tnt)rhol 92 15938 December 10, 2014 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: dyresand