Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going to a Roman Catholic school and expressing my opinion.
Going to a Roman Catholic school and expressing my opinion.
I'm 15 and I go to a Catholic school in the UK. You're probably wondering "WTF is an Atheist doing in a Catholic school!". Well, I was born in Poland, and Poland is a very Catholic country. Naturally my parents brought me up as a catholic and up until the age 13 I was quite a devout Catholic.  I say my parents brought me up, I mean my mum that's because my Dad identifies himself as an Atheist.

It seems like I'm just kind of talking about random crap about my life. I just thought I'd tell people how I ended up in a Roman Catholic school. The main problem I have is that whenever I express my opinion when in Religion class (Religious Eductation is mandatory in my school) I'm usually persecuted for it. Thankfully not by my teacher as she is very open minded and tolerant. But by the people in my class, not all but by the majority. I don't really go around and force people into atheism and force them to stop believing in their God then I would just be taking away their right of belief and religion, but I just express my opinion when asked in Religion class. One of my questions is that should I keep on express my opinion as I have the right to it or just sit there in class and just not say anything. I would prefer to still be able to express my opinion as I like discussing these type of things with people.

My next dilema is that ever so often our school would have a mass with a priest from the local church and then of course people will go up to take their communion. I usually stand up and try and sneak out of the hall so I don't have to take the communion, I rarely succeed and when I don't I get shouted by some teachers and forced to take the communion. I'm quite unhappy with that. I really want to talk my year leader about this and ask if I can not take part in the communion, but I'm scared I would just get asked to leave out of her office and ignored. So, should I risk and speak to her and then maybe succeed or should I just go along with everyone else and take the communion. I'm not the only Atheist in the school I have a few friends who are Atheists. But I guess we're just all too scared to speak out.

Thanks for reading. 
RE: Going to a Roman Catholic school and expressing my opinion.
First, welcome to the forum!

Now, I wish I had something useful to say to you in your present situation.  Since I don't have anything particularly useful, I will ask a few questions.  Is it possible to transfer to a nonreligious school?  You say that your father is an atheist; wouldn't he be okay with that?

As for whether you should express your opinions in religion class, I recommend a pragmatic approach.  You state that you enjoy talking about the subject, but you don't like the reaction you get from your classmates.  Which is greater:  the enjoyment of talking about it, or your displeasure caused by the reaction you get from your classmates?  The answer to that should guide your choice.

As for the question of asking your year leader if you may avoid taking part in communion, I have no idea what the results of that would be.  But, if all you are worried about is being asked to leave and ignored, how is that any worse than not asking?  So if that would be the worst thing that would happen, I would advise you to ask her.  If that is not the worst thing that could happen, then my advice would depend on whatever that would be.  Of course, the safest approach would be to just take the communion, but I certainly understand a desire to avoid such silliness.

One minor point; you state:

"I don't really go around and force people into atheism and force them to stop believing in their God then I would just be taking away their right of belief and religion, but I just express my opinion when asked in Religion class."

How would you force them to stop believing, even if you tried?  If force worked for making people believe something, don't you think the school would have done that to you?

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Firstly, welcome to the forums! Smile

I went to a Catholic school too but thankfully different points of view were completely tolerated. I never had any problems with my choice to not receive communion and so it's really unfortunate that you're facing such intolerance towards your views. Personally, I believe that you should stand up for free speech and for your right to be an atheist. You shouldn't let yourself be told what you have to believe in nor should you feel that you are unable to voice your preferences when it comes to receiving communion.

I wish you all the best and feel free to join in the discussion here with other atheists if it helps you to be more confident in your views Smile
"The chances of each of us coming into existence are infinitesimally small, and even though we shall all die some day, we should count ourselves fantastically lucky to get our decades in the sun." - Richard Dawkins

Welcome to the forum!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Quote:But by the people in my class, not all but by the majority. I don't really go around and force people into atheism and force them to stop believing in their God then I would just be taking away their right of belief and religion, but I just express my opinion when asked in Religion class.

Welcome, young one.  You have to understand to the really devout fools your very existence is a threat.  They do not understand how you can dismiss their silly god.  As long as your teacher is not a problem enjoy the fact that you make them uncomfortable.  They need to feel uncomfortable.  It will do them some good.
Welcome! You are among people who understand and care.

I am not familiar with Poland or your parents but it might be best to lay low until you are independent. The Catholic church did some bad things when they had the power and they will probably do what they feel they can get away with today. Your fellow students are definitely a threat - probably more so than the church itself. They are being indoctrinated and will feel like it is their duty to engage the 'enemy'. You should be careful. You can have a refuge here and in other places on the internet but you should be wary of provoking people who have the power to hurt you.

Take care and stay with us.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Great advice has already been given, so I'll just add my welcome Smile

I'm sorry you have to put up with all that crap, it must be really frustrating. You can discuss and vent to your heart's content here!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Hang in there buddy - I despised school enough when I was a kid, and that was just a normal one, not a fucking indoctrination camp like yours. In just a few short years you will be free of the bloody place, unless you can push your mum to move you to a different school (which I highly recommend you doing) . Stick to your guns, but don't go out of your way to antagonise the Christards-in-training.
Once you're free, you will look back in some years and most likely realise how stupid it all was, and how insignificant it seems. Right now however, just stay strong for us all, we've got your back.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church. Nishant Xavier 36 1854 August 6, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Athiest parent sending child to Catholic school EchoEllis 36 5251 December 2, 2021 at 10:24 am
Last Post: brewer
  People are not 'Going to Hell' - they're already in Hell. The Kreisel 22 2383 February 18, 2021 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Yeah, not going to happen!! Mystic 29 4761 October 18, 2018 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  How are you going to commit to the war on Christmas? Fidel_Castronaut 108 25888 January 4, 2018 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  In your opinion purplepurpose 20 5310 July 9, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? Balaco 596 92769 June 14, 2017 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Omnisofos
  Need advice for going to college Won2blv 33 4602 September 19, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What should I do if I'm being forced to go to a Christian School? Socratic Meth Head 51 11624 June 10, 2016 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: abaris
  So, my son attends school at the church Easy Guns 44 9002 January 11, 2016 at 6:14 am
Last Post: GUBU