Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 16, 2024, 4:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does it make sense to speak of "Universal Consciousness" or "Universal Intelligence"?
RE: Does it make sense to speak of "Universal Consciousness" or "Univer...
(May 13, 2014 at 1:42 am)Rampant.A.I. Wrote: That's rather Teilhard de Chardin.

Better Teilhard de Chardin than the Skynet of the Terminator movies.

Stephen Hawking had some interesting things to say about computer viruses in one of his lectures.

Life In The Universe

Quote:For example, a computer virus is a program that will make copies of itself in the memory of a computer, and will transfer itself to other computers. Thus it fits the definition of a living system, that I have given. Like a biological virus, it is a rather degenerate form, because it contains only instructions or genes, and doesn't have any metabolism of its own. Instead, it reprograms the metabolism of the host computer, or cell. Some people have questioned whether viruses should count as life, because they are parasites, and can not exist independently of their hosts. But then most forms of life, ourselves included, are parasites, in that they feed off and depend for their survival on other forms of life. I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image. I shall return to electronic forms of life later on.

Even if computer viruses can be counted as some kind of life there's no evidence, as yet, that they'll result in the internet evolving consciousness.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does it make sense to speak of "Universal Consciousness" or "Univer... - by Confused Ape - May 13, 2014 at 8:11 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good read on consciousness Apollo 41 2637 January 12, 2021 at 4:04 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Machine Intelligence and Human Ethics BrianSoddingBoru4 24 1982 May 28, 2019 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  are aesthetics universal? zainab 15 1287 March 2, 2019 at 7:24 am
  How could we trust our consciousness ?! zainab 45 4942 December 30, 2018 at 9:08 am
Last Post: polymath257
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3602 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  The Universal Moral Code BlindedWantsToSee 57 7504 November 2, 2017 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: BlindedWantsToSee
  Consciousness Trilemma Neo-Scholastic 208 56291 June 7, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis Won2blv 83 14240 February 21, 2017 at 1:31 pm
  My thoughts on the Hard problem of consciousness Won2blv 36 5677 February 15, 2017 at 7:27 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  A hypothesis about consciousness Won2blv 12 4024 February 12, 2017 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Won2blv