Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 2, 2024, 11:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism
RE: Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism
(August 17, 2014 at 1:04 pm)Blackout Wrote:

Hi Blackout, I guess this is the corollary discussion to the one we're having on the 'Prove your claim' thread.

1. As sure as you need to be to make a positive claim. This will differ from person to person. I would say that I need 100% certainty to make a positive statement; it's a point of intellectual honesty for me.

2. Yup. The Arahamic gods are impossible (based on their attribute definitions) therefore I can be 100% certain of their non-existence. The claims for the existence of deist gods are impossible to address as there can be no evidence so whilst I don't have to care about their existence, either way, I can make no gnostic claim.

3. That's entirely up to you! Gnosis regards your claims to knowledge, your 'justified-true' beliefs. If you can provide a justification that satisfies your standards of evidence, you will make a gnostic claim. For example, AronRa puts it this way: "If you can't show it, you don't know it" and "PEARL" (Physical Evidence And Reasoned Logic). That states his method of justification very clearly. On the other end of the spectrum, Ken Ham states 'The Bible says it, I believe it, that settles it!'. Once again, very clear standards of evidence.

4. Generally, I'm agnostic. So many theistic gods have such vague or deliberately ethereal definitions as to put them outside the realms of honest enquiry. I simply put my hands up, on grounds of intellectual honesty, and say 'I don't know' (and sometimes 'I can never know'). That doesn't mean I won't argue the toss regarding the likelihood of such gods.

Quote:Also why are most theists gnostics? Why the hell to they claim to have knowledge on something that has no evidence?
I started to cover this off in 3.: standards of evidence. Indoctrination also plays a part: there are people who rigourously compartmentalise their religious beliefs and therefore don't apply the same standards that they might apply when addressing other matters.

Quote:There is no evidence for unicorns and most people will generally claim to know unicorns don't exist, since the possibility is unlikely and illogical. Could we apply the same to the god hypothesis and dismiss it on the basis that since there is no evidence (just like it happens with bigfoot, dragons, unicorns, etc.) god can't exist just like unicorns or dragons can't exist (unless evidence is presented on the contrary)?
This is the point I was making about 'likelihood'. I dismiss god claims until evidence can be put forward. That doesn't mean I make a gnostic claim against the god in question, it simply means that I find no justification for belief.
Sum ergo sum

Messages In This Thread
RE: Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism - by Ben Davis - August 18, 2014 at 10:08 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My conclusions about weak Atheism. Mystic 72 13909 April 5, 2018 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Question from an agnostic chrisNub 41 9385 March 30, 2018 at 7:28 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My brother who used to be a devout Muslim is now agnostic Lebneni Murtad 4 1393 March 21, 2017 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  What is the right definition of agnostic? Red_Wind 27 5954 November 7, 2016 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Well, I just can't change that I'm Agnostic... LivingNumbers6.626 15 3048 July 6, 2016 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Everyone is Agnostic z7z 16 3397 June 26, 2016 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Can you persuade me from Agnostic to Atheist? AgnosticMan123 160 25454 June 6, 2016 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: Adam Blackstar
  My siblings are agnostic, should I try discussing atheism with them? CindyBaker 17 3659 April 18, 2016 at 9:27 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  Albert Einstein the Agnostic MattB 21 6137 February 23, 2016 at 11:45 pm
Last Post: MattB
  Atheist or Agnostic? datc 126 37264 April 6, 2015 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Pizza