Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 8, 2024, 7:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't tell a Religious person "There is no God"
Don't tell a Religious person "There is no God"
In my opinion, and in the best interests of helping other religious peoples understand our belief, I think people should refrain from saying "There is no God"

First off, this is how all religious people view our beliefs as. They think we "know there is no god somehow" and therefore, see it as a radical position.

Also, saying "there is no god" is inherently wrong, due to the fact that you can never know, most will agree that it is very unlikely, but a common argument is "How do you know", I think it's dangerous to say you "know" anything.

Most importantly, though, it offsets any argument you use it in, or any scenario interacting with a religious person that it is said. If you are talking to a moderate believer, even though they probably think they know god exists, they will still most likely claim "I am not positive". If you say this, you give the impression you are positive, you as well give theists an argument to use. 

I guess.. What i'm trying to say even though this was poorly explained is that..
A large amount of theists see atheism as people who say "There is no god" hell, my Bible teacher listed that as basically the only trait of atheism. I don't think this represents a large scale of atheists beliefs. I'm not saying it's "50-50" or anything like that, but even people like Richard Dawkins-almost as far atheist as you can go-said he would say it is still a 99-1 percentage chance of god existing in some form. If you want theists to stop misrepresenting atheist beliefs, and have people come to a better and more peaceful understanding of them, we need to start saying "I Don't Know" as a go to response for the question of "Does god exist". Because no matter how far you lean to one side or another, you can never know for sure, you can say it's 1/1000000000000 chance, but you still don't know and need to profess this so that theists don't think your position is so radical.
Which is better:
To die with ignorance, or to live with intelligence?

Truth doesn't accommodate to personal opinions.
The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is God and there is man, it's only a matter of who created whom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.

Messages In This Thread
Don't tell a Religious person "There is no God" - by Heat - October 23, 2015 at 11:35 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 998 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 3037 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do you wish there's a god? Catharsis 580 45208 April 10, 2019 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Do u want there to be a God? Any God? Agnostico 304 30294 December 19, 2018 at 1:20 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Should I tell my girlfriend that I'm an atheist? erealmz 45 9158 November 19, 2017 at 9:07 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Being An Atheist Doesn't Make You A Good Person mlmooney89 38 7074 September 7, 2017 at 10:29 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  I'd like to ask my fellow atheists if they would be happy to learn there was a god. Whateverist 88 16530 September 4, 2017 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? Balaco 596 93456 June 14, 2017 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Omnisofos
  "There is a god because e = mc²" bheath 58 10606 February 24, 2017 at 7:18 pm
Last Post: bheath
  Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious? WisdomOfTheTrees 13 2572 February 9, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Mirek-Polska