Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:28 am

Poll: Is there any aspect/type of god you as an atheist would be happy to discover existed?
This poll is closed.
The biblical god in all his tyrannical, OT bad-assedness.
6.67%
1 6.67%
Just the loving hippy of the NT.
0%
0 0%
One that is concerned with human conduct and hands out eternal bliss or torture in a life-exit interview.
6.67%
1 6.67%
One that listens to 'prayers' or reads your mind and chooses life events with your development in mind; the 'world' for this sort of god is a kind of theater with no independent or necessary existence.
0%
0 0%
An all-powerful one that created everything from nothing just the way it is on purpose but has covered his tracks to make natural causes more plausible.
6.67%
1 6.67%
Not all-powerful, one possessed of some creative powers but not limitless, creating some forms but all from pre-existing substrata, not from 'nothing'.
26.67%
4 26.67%
One that is drastically older (approaching eternality?) and has seen it all but relates to you-as-consciousness as a kind of benevolent big brother and values your companionship without judgements or need for your worship.
53.33%
8 53.33%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'd like to ask my fellow atheists if they would be happy to learn there was a god.
I'd like to ask my fellow atheists if they would be happy to learn there was a god.
Are you an atheist just because being a fair minded, truth preferring kind of person the prospects of an extant god just look so thin (okay, non-existent)?  Or does your skin crawl at the prospect of there being such a thing?

I have to imagine the answers will depend on how we define "god".  So I'll try to come up with some god descriptions for you to more specifically register your approval or opprobrium.  Please vote for each aspect/type of god which meets with your approval.  In the end, if there are any at all which meet with your approval, you might want to say which combination you'd require to be happy to meet such a being .. assuming that was possible.

Geez .. what's a god?  This will have to be Christian centered because of my own limitations.  

1) The biblical god in all his tyrannical, OT bad-assedness.

2) Just the loving hippy of the NT.

3) One that is concerned with human conduct and hands out eternal bliss or torture in a life-exit interview.

4) One that listens to 'prayers' or reads your mind and chooses life events with your development in mind; the 'world' for this sort of god is a kind of theater with no independent or necessary existence.

5) An all-powerful one that created everything from nothing just the way it is on purpose but has covered his tracks to make natural causes more plausible.

6) Not all-powerful, one possessed of some creative powers but not limitless, creating some forms but all from pre-existing substrata, not from 'nothing'.

7) One that is drastically older (approaching eternality?) and has seen it all but relates to you-as-consciousness as a kind of benevolent big brother and values your companionship without judgements or need for your worship.
RE: I'd like to ask my fellow atheists if they would be happy to learn there was a god.
I would be happy to know the answer to the question of whether or not there is a god, but I can't say whether or not I would be happy if god was shown to be real, because I don't know what this god would be like.

In my opinion this doesn't have to be a question just for atheists, I wonder if Christians would be happy to find out there is a god and he is not the Christian god?
RE: I'd like to ask my fellow atheists if they would be happy to learn there was a god.
It is only #7 in my list that I gave up with reluctance at 11 or whenever it was I gave up hope in magic stuff. I find #6 strains my perspective less than does #5, but I really never gave a shit about this any how. #4 seems somewhat cool on its surface but I'd find the deception involved too annoying, so I wouldn't be happy to discover that 'guy' existed.
It'd be nice to know the answer with certainty, however, I really couldn't give a shit one way or another what that answer would be.
Number six seems a best-case scenario, but only if it's omnibenevolent (and doing the best that it can under the circumstances).
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
8 One that I can hunt down and kill.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
0 None of the above.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
Fuck all polls obviously but if you can be fucked, my serious answer is #7, even though that's not exactly it.

I'd be happy to know that there exists a deistic type of god - a powerful, transcendental being, or a consciousness (cue Little Rik flashbacks), which created the universe but because of its powerfulness and transcendental nature and whatnot is nowhere near as human as any theistic god, but instead just a slightly anthropomorphized metaphor for the universe, which you can come in contact with by smoking copious amounts of weed/doing a whole lotta acid and tuning in to the vibrations of everything and realizing that we are all one or something super duper deep like that. That was what I'd wished for when I had a phase of desperately wanting "something bigger" to exist. I even wrote a poem about it but the cringe factor is too strong. Also I might have listened to one too many stoner prog rock songs that evening. My thirst for meaning in the universe has since been quenched by cheerful nihilism and memes.
(August 28, 2017 at 3:33 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: 0 None of the above.

+1
If that shit is orchestrated by a God, we're truly fucked.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you learned that the god of [insert religion] is real, would all bets be off? Sicnoo0 58 3429 February 25, 2024 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 207 9023 February 12, 2024 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 973 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 2879 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 4301 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Do you wish there's a god? Catharsis 580 40524 April 10, 2019 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Do u want there to be a God? Any God? Agnostico 304 28301 December 19, 2018 at 1:20 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11026 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  What is your stance on magic fellow atheists ? tahaadi 42 4438 October 13, 2018 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  If there were no atheists? Graufreud 24 4075 July 20, 2018 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Angrboda