Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hindu Perspective: Counter to God of Gaps Theory
Hindu Perspective: Counter to God of Gaps Theory
I’d like to present a counter view on the God of Gaps theory presented by many athiests. If we believe that the universe is infinite we would also believe that knowledge about the universe is infinite. If knowledge is infinite then the questions one asks about the universe is therefore also infinite. 

If we agree on everything stated above, I would introduce the subject of God into the thesis. According to most religions God or the Divine is believed to be infinite. If that is true then it would hold that Science cannot ever explain God because for Science to explain God that would mean that it would have to have perfect knowledge of the universe and according to the logical arguments presented above that is not possible. As knowledge of the Universe and God is infinite, one cannot ever fully explain either one fully.

For the theory above to work one would need to accept the following assumptions. 

1. There is such a thing as God and God is infinite. Now if you don’t accept there is God, fine, but one cannot have their cake and eat it to. One either has the option to simply deny the existence of God as long as one does NOT argue the basis for their reasoning is that Science has disproved God because as seen from the above argument that does not make sense logically. 

It would be fair to say I don’t believe in God because everything I see in my reality tells me that believing in such a thing is completely crazy, or I’ve never had any personal experience to me make think there ever was a God, BUT one cannot say that one doesn’t believe in God because Science has disproved it.

2. Science in itself is a means to explore and uncover knowledge. Science cannot be called infinite because science is only a tool to uncover knowledge. So the argument that science is also infinite doesn’t hold in this case because we have defined science as a process or tool but not the essence, which is knowledge. Therefore if science can never fully uncover all knowledge then it also is fair to say that science can never fully prove or disprove God because like knowledge and the universe, God is infinite.

Messages In This Thread
Hindu Perspective: Counter to God of Gaps Theory - by Krishna Jaganath - November 18, 2015 at 5:51 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 5274 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  What is the best counter argument against "What do you lose by believing?" Macoleco 25 1885 May 1, 2021 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A possibly new perspective on this thing that we know as God. unityconversation 157 14309 March 18, 2020 at 1:08 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  First order logic, set theory and God dr0n3 293 27090 December 11, 2018 at 11:35 am
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Is atheism a scientific perspective? AAA 358 59978 January 27, 2017 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: brewer
  A loose “theory” of the dynamics of religious belief Bunburryist 6 1667 August 14, 2016 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Bunburryist
  Top misconceptions of Theory of Evolution you had to deal with ErGingerbreadMandude 76 12692 March 7, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  A crazy theory Ruprick 11 2696 February 18, 2016 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  God of the gaps... maybe? Exian 18 2448 February 7, 2016 at 4:33 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My anti-theistic perspective Foxaèr 122 15564 February 4, 2016 at 1:03 am
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky