Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 8:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The difference between empathy and sympathy and why it's important
RE: The difference between empathy and sympathy and why it's important
I think we usually think that bad feelings are a result of a broken world view, and that the way to fix the problem is to correct the world view. So when say Robin Williams was suffering depression, people would say-- you're rich, you're popular, you have a great family, what's to be depressed about? Obviously, in his state he was unable to see that positive world view.

On the other hand, I'd worry that I'm enabling someone by validating feelings based on a broken world view. Let's say I know a woman who was raped 20 years ago, and she keeps having problems with her relationships, gets depressed, and says it's because of the baggage caused by that event. I'd be worried that if I empathize with her, and give her the love and attention she needs, that there will some reward in it for her. Next time she needs love and attention, she may be more likely to dig up those old feelings, instead of looking for healthier ways of getting it. Also, to really empathize, I'm going to have to walk in some pretty dark shadows myself.

I mean, everyone gets depressed sometimes. But I've known some professional wallowers, and I don't think reinforcing that (and I've known some with TOTAL support from family and friends) really benefits the person that much.

I'd also like to mention that I suffered depression a lot when I was younger. I was lonely, isolated, bored, tired, and happy people mostly just seemed like condescending pricks when they tried to make me happy. But people trying to help me didn't, really. It was friends who showed me tough love that helped more: "Stop your fucking whining. You're gonna put on some clothes, let me buy you a drink, and we're going to go get shot down by every girl in Vancouver, and it'll be fucking great." I went to a doctor to get a depression diagnosis because I was too depressed and antisocial to get a job and I wanted to go on welfare. He said, "I'm not going to enable you to sit around and feel sorry for yourself. You show me you registered in school, and you apply for a student loan, and I'll give you a two month diagnosis so you can have a little holiday." So off I went to university, and it was INTERESTING, and I had so many other things to think about than what a waste of space I was, and over time, my world view changed.

I'm not sure if you'd call my friend empathetic, or my doctor. But the important thing is they forced me to engage in my life, and not to sit around wallowing. Nothing's a better cure for depression than the flashing lights and booming sounds of a real life, happening.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The difference between empathy and sympathy and why it's important - by bennyboy - February 21, 2016 at 9:15 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Relationship between programming languages and natural languages FlatAssembler 13 1218 June 12, 2023 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The difference between computing and science. highdimensionman 0 370 February 25, 2022 at 11:54 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Hybrid theory between freewill and determinism Won2blv 18 4260 July 26, 2017 at 10:57 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  How can you tell the difference between reality and delusions? Azu 19 7001 June 13, 2017 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Empathy chimp3 11 2203 January 13, 2017 at 12:29 am
Last Post: Astreja
  The difference between a sceptic and a non-sceptic robvalue 12 1998 May 20, 2016 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Why it's important to know there is an objective morality. Mystic 69 7772 April 6, 2016 at 3:43 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Pain and empathy BrokenQuill92 7 2133 July 19, 2015 at 1:19 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Discussion on debate between Esquilax and His_Majesty. Esquilax 169 31254 November 16, 2014 at 2:43 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  The relationship between Science and Philosophy Dolorian 14 5257 October 3, 2014 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: HopOnPop