Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 25, 2024, 8:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism?
RE: Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism?
(March 24, 2017 at 1:20 pm)SteveII Wrote: God works in people's lives today--changing people on the inside as well as the occurrence of miracles.

Try getting this to you head: just Polio killed 500 million people in XX. century and was eradicated in 1979 - now how did this happen? Did Virgin Mary or Jesus come from the sky and give people cure? No! It were humans, mere mortals using science, who invented the vaccine.
During that same past century medicine increased life span for 30 years. Before that whooping cough killed 8000 people a year - mostly children. Rubella caused birth defects in 20 000 children every year. Measles killed 500 000 people every year and so on and on. Who put an end to it? Was it Jesus? Again no. It was invention of vaccine.
Imagine, for instance, that in medieval times only 1 in 10 children lived to celebrate it's 10 birthday, while all knowing Jesus didn't even bother to mention penicillin that would have saved many billions of people - so if you truly want to devote your energy to a good healing force, go to science.

(March 24, 2017 at 1:20 pm)SteveII Wrote: God is the best explanation why anything at all exists.

If that is the case then please answer me why does malaria exist? Why does leukemia exist? Why do giant earthquakes and other natural disasters exist that kill many children? I want to know, tell me if god is best explanation then answer will be easy.

(March 24, 2017 at 1:20 pm)SteveII Wrote: God is the best explanation of objective moral values and duties.
No it doesn't. Morality and altruism comes from a simple fact that a single human cannot survive alone. From the early beginnings people realized no human is an island. Humans depend on each other's favors and also everybody has to contribute, so there really is nothing special about that.

(March 24, 2017 at 1:20 pm)SteveII Wrote: God is the best explanation of the origin of the universe.

Big bang theory does sound complicated for people. But there is something very different about the big bang. Unlike every other "explanation" that our species has come up with for the creation of the universe, this one has scientific observations and experiments that back it up. This explanation for how the universe started is not a belief and has no need for faith.

(March 24, 2017 at 2:20 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Though I'm not sure why we have to keep repeating over and over again that many (if not most) of us Christians do not believe the OT is to be taken as word for word, literal, historical fact.

But if Genesis is just an allegory meaning that Adam and Even never existed then original sin could not be created and then what is the point of god incarnating himself as a man, Jesus, in order that he should be tortured and executed in atonement for the hereditary sin of Adam - that was only an allegorical story?
I mean how does this make sense? Maybe that's why you need to repeat your statement because you never answered this.

Not to mention that not even majority of christians on this forum takes OT as an allegory.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism? - by Fake Messiah - March 25, 2017 at 8:16 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Why Atheism is Incoherent & You Aren't as Smart as You Think You Are Seax 60 5342 March 19, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Theists: how do you account for psychopaths? robvalue 288 41970 March 5, 2021 at 6:37 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 17784 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Theists, please describe how you experience your god I_am_not_mafia 161 17014 June 15, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Theists, Who would You Rather Have as a Neighbor Rhondazvous 23 7860 November 10, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Baha'i Faith, have you heard of it? Foxaèr 22 3339 October 23, 2017 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Should Theists have the burden of proof at the police and court? Vast Vision 16 5319 July 10, 2017 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Jesster
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 23311 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  What do you think of this argument for God? SuperSentient 140 19489 March 19, 2017 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Theists: would you view the truth? robvalue 154 18984 December 25, 2016 at 2:29 am
Last Post: Godscreated