Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Atheists using Intellectually Dishonest Arguments?
RE: Are Atheists using Intellectually Dishonest Arguments?
(March 8, 2018 at 4:08 pm)Hammy Wrote:
(March 8, 2018 at 3:45 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: Thanks for proving my point.

Nope. Because you're still the dickhead here for irrelevant reasons, and the fact you have an imaginary friend is just a fact.... I mean, you are a theist right? And the God you believe in is imaginary and childish right? And you do have a relationship with him like you would a friend right?

Changing the name of someone else's imaginary friend doesn't make a person a dick. If I had an imaginary friend called Alf and you insisted on calling him Benny, you wouldn't be a dick just because I was a moron who had never grown up. Who cares what I called my imaginary friend, it wouldn't make you a dick for being unable to resist having a little harmless fun with my unbelievable idiocy.

Theism is too cheap to cheapen.

Sorry, but this is one that bothers me. If you really had an imaginary friend named Alf, whom you really believed in, it would be cruel for someone else to insist on calling him Benny. It's argument by ridicule. It rather reminds me of the arguments over the meaning of the word "atheist" in which people who are not atheist, insist that their usage is correct.

(March 9, 2018 at 7:23 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: Pretty long winded about something you claim not to care about.

Oh I do care, just not so about the underlying god claim. What I do care about is the results of having a bunch of people walking around making decisions based on their belief in and claim to understand the will of god. I particularly care if if that beleif drives public policies I think are wrong.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are Atheists using Intellectually Dishonest Arguments? - by Jenny A - April 8, 2018 at 11:02 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good Arguments (Certainty vs. Probability) JAG 12 979 October 8, 2020 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Best arguments for or against God's existence mcc1789 22 2792 May 22, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Arguments for God's Existence from Contingency datc 386 42435 December 1, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Valid Arguments for God (soundness disputed) Mystic 17 2086 March 25, 2017 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Arguments for God from a purely philosophical perspective Aegon 13 2885 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Hume weakened analogical arguments for God. Pizza 18 5928 March 25, 2015 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Gaps in theistic arguments. Secular theism vs religious theism Pizza 59 10622 February 27, 2015 at 12:33 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Using the arguments against actual infinites against theists Freedom of thought 4 2258 May 14, 2014 at 12:58 am
Last Post: Freedom of thought
  Ontological Arguments - A Comprehensive Refutation MindForgedManacle 23 5539 March 20, 2014 at 1:48 am
Last Post: Rabb Allah
  What Arguments from Opposing Worldviews Give You Pause? MindForgedManacle 3 1118 November 15, 2013 at 11:15 pm
Last Post: Zazzy