Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for those not raised in religious homes
RE: Question for those not raised in religious homes
(September 15, 2018 at 8:17 am)Jörmungandr Wrote: I didn't think about religion a lot when I was a kid.  I know people in fundamentalist homes do, but for the rest, in the average home, I don't think people give it that much thought.  Maybe that just reflects my experience.  There were the late night talks about God, but not a lot of actually really spending a lot of time alone thinking about it.

Meh, it can be an issue. I was raised in a Catholic home, and my sister was/is deeply religious. She was not a nutcase or anything. Just a devoted Catholic girl who said her Hail Marys and accepted the Catholic doctrine in its entirety. When I was a teenager, she picked up on the fact I didn't believe. There was drama involved--and not due to my expressing my lack of belief in the slightest. At the time, I went to Mass with my family, took communion, and more or less kept my atheism to myself. I was sort of a closet atheist. 

I remember one year she got me The Student Bible as a birthday present. It was a blatant attempt to proselytize. Actually, it was a pretty nice gift. It was heavily annotated and gave tons of background information and context for specific verses/passages. And it really helped seal the deal for me being an atheist. 

For one thing it had something resembling this image in Genesis:

It also pointed out the contradiction with the number of Noah's animals. I remember reading things like "not having contact with a women during the uncleanliness of her period" and thinking, "this is some backwards ass shit."

Messages In This Thread
Question for those not raised in religious homes - by Bahana - September 14, 2018 at 11:13 pm
RE: Question for those not raised in religious homes - by Bahana - September 14, 2018 at 11:23 pm
RE: Question for those not raised in religious homes - by vulcanlogician - September 15, 2018 at 9:12 am
RE: Question for those not raised in religious homes - by johan - September 16, 2018 at 12:14 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you would punish religious people for being religious? Ahriman 222 18215 May 2, 2022 at 2:45 am
Last Post: Losty
  One of those things... Apollo 26 2014 December 14, 2020 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  For those of you with tails, a question. Gawdzilla Sama 9 827 November 19, 2018 at 3:05 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Those who chose to stay.... Joods 6 441 September 14, 2018 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  For those who understand the law better than me (would you want it this way too?) Foxaèr 9 1162 July 27, 2018 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  To vent or not to vent, that is the question... Clueless Morgan 20 2521 August 21, 2017 at 10:13 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Are you kind only to those who are kind to you? *Deidre* 93 9363 September 3, 2015 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  For those who are always twisting peoples words... IanHulett 1 933 July 20, 2015 at 12:33 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Warning for those who use facebook... IanHulett 3 1174 July 16, 2015 at 11:50 pm
Last Post: IanHulett
  Veteran's day shout out to those who sacrificed to protect and defend. Whateverist 8 1254 November 13, 2014 at 12:41 am
Last Post: Minimalist