Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is slack a private social club and other issues my sorry ass has landed itself in
RE: Is slack a private social club and other issues my sorry ass has landed itself in
(April 21, 2019 at 8:11 am)Jello Wrote: I can't believe there's an argument even happening here. Even if not meant in a racist manner, what you said was racist. End of. You give someone an inch, they'll take a mile, you gotta be zero tolerance with this shit.

Last i checked, most places have an anti-racist language rules in place, and whilst slack may not be subject to all the rules, i'd imagine that one still pertains.

Let me grant you your premises for the sake of argument. In what way was what I said racist?

Just as a starter, Oxford English Dictionary defines racist, as, "a person whose words or actions display prejudice or discrimination on the grounds of race." Now, that may not be the end of a discussion of what the definition is, but going on that, you're suggesting that I was displaying prejudice or discrimination on the grounds of race, and I just don't think you've made that argument. Like many here, you just want to declare it wrong and have your declaration be accepted as compelling. It's not. Recently Drich referred to me as a Dragon Lady, which is a pejorative term describing a specific type of Asian woman. Many people consider that racist. I don't really think Drich was being racist and I certainly don't think Drich should have been removed because of it. Your argument seems to imply that there would be justification for removing Drich for calling me a dragon lady. Is that really your position?

(ETA: And the suggestion here seems to be that terms about black people may be entitled to treatment that terms about Asians, Mexicans, white people and others are not entitled to having and that black people's feelings and offense entitles them to certain rights that my feelings and offense as an Asian woman do not entitle me to having. If that is what staff is saying, I'd like a clear statement of that from staff. If that is not what staff is saying, I'd like a clear statement of that from staff as well.)

(ETA2: So far, and this is just my impression that I'm getting is that this boils down to, "Our community has certain standards, and our community holds that what you said is wrong. Your community may have different standards and not hold it wrong, but in doing so, your community is wrong, and you and members of your community are unacceptable." If that's a valid characterization, that seems way more bigoted than what I said.)

(ETA3: And just to be clear, going from memory, the Prime directive says that making a post to provoke a reaction is a violation. Obviously, certain reactions, such as intense and serious discussion are excluded from that and perhaps others. So, it's not at all clear that the prime directive would apply in my case, or necessarily in all cases. I'm not going to go into it in detail, but saying that in all cases the reaction provoked justifies disciplinary action seems both unreasonable and a misreading of the Prime directive.)

And George Carlin weighs in on the topic. Not that I want this to become a meme thread, but just to point out that there are more valid opinions on the matter beyond those of you arguing that saying something like I did was wrong.

[Image: political-correctness-is-fascism-pretend...anners.jpg]
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is slack a private social club and other issues my sorry ass has landed itself in - by Angrboda - April 21, 2019 at 8:13 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Matrix > Slack deleted 0 457 June 7, 2023 at 9:01 am
Last Post: deleted
  Server issues Foxaèr 4 2156 March 6, 2023 at 8:28 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Private Messages Dundee 33 4636 November 15, 2020 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Whose idea was it to segregate news stories on slack? Angrboda 5 993 January 1, 2019 at 4:37 am
Last Post: Losty
  Slack tackattack 9 1496 November 22, 2018 at 2:07 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Having site issues Foxaèr 11 1652 November 1, 2017 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Is there a way to disable private messages? *Deidre* 14 2637 July 21, 2017 at 11:04 am
Last Post: brewer
  How do I quote other posts? Bunburryist 5 1684 August 14, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: wiploc
  Is anyone else having issues loading the forum? Losty 19 2411 June 14, 2016 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: Losty
  sorry to ask, lost track of chart vorlon13 4 1354 July 13, 2015 at 1:04 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain