Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:14 pm

Poll: Labor Unions - are you for or against it and why?
This poll is closed.
I support it
90.32%
28 90.32%
I oppose it
9.68%
3 9.68%
Total 31 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Labor Unions - are you for or against it and why?
RE: Labor Unions - are you for or against it and why?
(August 7, 2011 at 6:04 am)Anymouse Wrote:
(February 18, 2011 at 2:01 am)reverendjeremiah Wrote: VOTING INSTRUCTIONS: Either you support a right for labor unions to exist or you do not. Example: If you support NYPNU's (Nurses Union) right to exist but you oppose IBT's (International Brotherhood of Teamsters) right to exist then you would vote "I support it". If you oppose any and all forms of labor unions then you would vote "I oppose it".

If you post on this discussion, I only ask that you vote in the poll (either before or after discussion) as well so that we can see how this strong atheist community views labor unions.

Thankyou
I cannot vote.
I support labour unions where the workers have chosen to join them freely, and have the right to eject them freely.

I do not support "closed-shop" laws where you cannot work unless you belong to a labour union; I do not see the difference in a monopoly in industry to a monopoly in labour, except that industry is forced to use the union and workers are forced through extortion to pay union dues for the privilege of a job.
James.

I will explain why I support the idea of a closed-shop. There is no half-way position on trade unionism, as far as I am concerned. There is no point in a union existing if it is not STRONG. Some employers welcome unions, as long as they " act responsibly " and that means, by implication, they do as the employer pleases. Strength comes from unity, the workers acting as one to defend and improve if possible their terms and conditions of employment. Thus, wherever possible, once a union has recognition in an organisation, usually because a majority of the workers want one, the ultimate aim should be for the union to enjoy 100% membership. In days gone by when unions were stronger than they are today, the closed-shop operated and was successful in making gains for the workers. Unfortunately, since the 1980's onwards, the idea of collectivism has been overtaken by individualism, looking out for number 1, and the big winner has been the employer.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Labor Unions - are you for or against it and why? - by bozo - August 7, 2011 at 7:25 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 dollar stands firmly against 1 hryvnia. Why? Interaktive 6 417 June 23, 2021 at 5:00 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Trump labor pick Pizella promoted sweatshops. The Industrial Atheist 9 954 August 24, 2017 at 11:15 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Why oh why are people on the righ so against LGBT folk? NuclearEnergy 10 1997 July 26, 2017 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Why is the Democratic Party against the only person who could save them? Mystical 63 16015 June 3, 2017 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  This Is What You're Up Against With Drumpfucks Minimalist 20 2537 March 18, 2017 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Do you know why wars happens and why middle east is robbed? Safirno 12 2103 July 9, 2016 at 11:48 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Remember Progressives.... This Is What You Are Defending Against Minimalist 19 2704 May 27, 2016 at 2:28 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Just another reason why I'm against guns. Foxaèr 12 1517 May 12, 2016 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Secular reasons for and against legalising abortion Dolorian 80 10538 October 29, 2014 at 11:35 am
Last Post: Cato
  Happy Labor Day Minimalist 0 545 September 1, 2014 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: Minimalist