Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 8:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Giving up the fight
Giving up the fight
January 31st, I came out as trans on FB. I'm finally getting thin enough that I feel confident in passing and I didn't want to hide it anymore. Surprisingly, a lot of support from unexpected places. The expected pushback came from certain family who insist on deadnaming me in comments and messages. I haven't talked to them one on one yet and I feel tired at the prospect. Call it ADHD fatigue/anxiety over the confrontation, or cal it acceptance that I'll never change their minds, so, why bother trying.

Recently, I've gotten into Rebecca Watson on Youtube and she's great, but I watched a few of her videos about studies on comparisons between atheists and theists, and this very interesting video she did regarding those who deny the reliability of the Covid vaccines. It's rooted in emotion. That's why when you refute their facts, they don't see reason. They just find new facts to support their core bias. Like a lot of argumentative theists do. 

The fact is, I will never convince them that when I was out in BYU-I and at my peak religiosity, I was trying my hardest and desperately wanted to be a good daughter of God. Obviously, to them, I didn't try hard enough, and the revelation of my trans status is a culmination of justifications about how I never truly had faith and never actually wanted to be obedient and worthy. It will never be "enough" because emotionally, they've sunk 50+ years into their faith and they see their results just fine. So it is always going to be me who didn't work the program right. Just like if you pray to know if the BoM is true and you get an answer that it's not, well, you just didn't do it right, man. There is only ever one answer and I am wrong.

Anyway... I am not sure how active I'll be much more because it not only has to do with my bigoted Mormon family members but in general, I'm not in the spirit of pointlessly arguing with theists who we already acknowledge, "don't have a good reason for believing". Dead Horse 

This is kinda my "shower thoughts not suitable for FB" garbage dump until I can find someplace better. But here, as promised, thin me. I'm not to my goal of 150 lbs. yet but I'm getting there.

[Image: me_by_bawdabaw_dezxs2m-fullview.jpg?toke...bZNidwXtO0]

Messages In This Thread
Giving up the fight - by zwanzig - February 16, 2022 at 8:34 am
RE: Giving up the fight - by arewethereyet - February 16, 2022 at 8:38 am
RE: Giving up the fight - by emjay - February 16, 2022 at 9:48 am
RE: Giving up the fight - by Rev. Rye - February 16, 2022 at 8:40 pm
RE: Giving up the fight - by Foxaèr - February 16, 2022 at 9:08 pm
RE: Giving up the fight - by Fireball - February 17, 2022 at 1:19 am
RE: Giving up the fight - by no one - February 16, 2022 at 10:09 pm
RE: Giving up the fight - by Jehanne - February 16, 2022 at 11:54 pm
RE: Giving up the fight - by Rev. Rye - February 17, 2022 at 1:54 am
RE: Giving up the fight - by Goosebump - February 17, 2022 at 7:17 am
RE: Giving up the fight - by emjay - February 17, 2022 at 11:56 am
RE: Giving up the fight - by GUBU - February 17, 2022 at 12:56 pm
RE: Giving up the fight - by zwanzig - February 18, 2022 at 9:36 am
RE: Giving up the fight - by emjay - February 18, 2022 at 12:36 pm
RE: Giving up the fight - by zwanzig - February 18, 2022 at 12:45 pm
RE: Giving up the fight - by Jehanne - February 18, 2022 at 8:15 pm
RE: Giving up the fight - by zwanzig - February 18, 2022 at 8:29 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Fight Againdt Ennui FrustratedFool 24 1177 August 18, 2023 at 6:04 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Giving up on romance FollowingFeynman89 4 407 July 23, 2023 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  What is worse, lying when you have to justify your action or not giving any answer? Der/die AtheistIn 13 1000 March 19, 2019 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Giving Each Other Pleasure chimp3 21 3331 June 4, 2018 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: paulpablo