Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New York City's video on how to survive a nuclear attack.
RE: New York City's video on how to survive a nuclear attack.
(January 8, 2023 at 9:27 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(January 8, 2023 at 8:25 pm)Jehanne Wrote: Agreed.  I can understand NYC's reluctance to mention the obvious, but going into any building within the 20 to 25 km kill zone of a thermonuclear bomb seems to be pitiless advice.  In addition to the fallout, there is a going to be a firestorm of anything remaining after the initial blast wave, and so, it is going to be impossible for anyone who survives the detonation to remain inside any structure for very long anyways.

The subways or sewers is where people need to go, if they wish to live.

Aside from anything else, the shock wave will follow the path of least resistance and flow along the surface of the ground. Any penetration will only occur under the blast itself, and even so the overcharge will remain largely atmospheric because earth is thicker than air, and energy seeks the easiest outlet.

Penetrator warheads are a thing, but they're not wasted on cities, they're spent on first-strike silos or underground C³I facilities.

The Russians have shown that they have no qualms about attacking and murdering innocent civilians. Any thermonuclear weapons that they would decide to use would almost certainly be denoted 2 to 3 thousand feet above ground. The hypersonic shockwave will be line-of-sight (how could it be otherwise?) which will directly impact buildings from the air but also impact them a second time an instant after reflecting off the ground.

No doubt being on the ground would be an utterly horrible place to be, but being in any building within 10 km of detonation would almost certainly mean that the building one is in is going to collapse or be caught-up in the hellish firestorm that will soon follow.

As a side-note, I have faced some criticism in starting this thread, but I have read interviews of United States government scientists with PhDs in physics working in nuclear weapons research who openly speak of "how fulfilling & meaningful" their work is and "how much they love their jobs". As for me, I think that nuclear weapons are absolutely horrible and should be forever banned by all nations, and would never accept any job supporting them, no matter how much it paid. But, complete nuclear disarmament not yet being "practical" it's good to be prepared if we should be caught-up in the collective insanity of other human beings.

Finally, I think that the NYC emergency management video is not good advice; in my opinion, they should have never made it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: New York City's video on how to survive a nuclear attack. - by Jehanne - January 8, 2023 at 10:02 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New York is... Foxaèr 20 1969 May 1, 2018 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: Alexmahone
  White Culture Under Attack chimp3 54 10232 September 5, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Will there be a nuclear strike in your lifetime? CapnAwesome 55 11326 June 5, 2017 at 11:55 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  How long could you survive... Gawdzilla Sama 26 3469 April 12, 2017 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Video My new video: abstract systems versus reality robvalue 2 558 January 15, 2017 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Humans of New York. Banjo 6 1220 August 10, 2016 at 8:47 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  William Perry's nuclear nightmare Excited Penguin 1 939 April 2, 2016 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: Jello
  If a Nuclear bomb were dropped.... CapnAwesome 53 6085 February 1, 2016 at 9:17 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Attack of the Zygons Shining_Finger 29 3243 November 8, 2015 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Shining_Finger
  Town or City for you? Foxaèr 47 4814 October 4, 2015 at 8:10 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet