Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 21, 2024, 5:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I still don't understand why anyone would make up a person like the Biblical Christ..
RE: I still don't understand why anyone would make up a person like the Biblical Christ..
(August 8, 2011 at 3:43 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(August 8, 2011 at 3:33 pm)coffeeveritas Wrote: Everything we believe about the early church tells us.....
(editing mine and bolded)

Yes that is a good point to bring up, history itself is a biased science. Also the our historical data is very incomplete, which means that researchers have to fill in a lot of holes. Which is why you have such wide variances in historical discussions. The best we can offer is the general consensus of historical scholars both Christian and secular, which for some issues is actually the same. So, unless you take the very postmodern perspective that we can know nothing of history, you are left with the facts of history as we know them to the best of our knowledge.

So, secular and Christian sources would say that Greco-Roman culture was heavily shaped by the honor/shame dynamics and being a Christian would have been dishonorable in both Jewish and Roman society. This resulted in the disciples being ostracized from their own people and society at large. Also the only records we have of the original twelve indicate that they were itinerant teachers who were ultimately executed (except for John, and I am keeping in mind that the accounts of some disciples' deaths are somewhat dubious). Basically the disciples were put in a socially undesirable situation by what they taught, and there is no evidence that it benefited them.

As for the scamming televangelists and million pastors, I apologize. That is the complete opposite of the message of the Gospel. Christians should be helping others and enjoying the simple things in life, not scamming people for money. There are much more beautiful and grand things in our universe than just trying to run people over to get cash. These people are just using Christian words while they do whatever they want.

Keep in mind though, there was nothing advantageous about being a Christian until Constantine.

Messages In This Thread
RE: I still don't understand why anyone would make up a person like the Biblical Christ.. - by coffeeveritas - August 9, 2011 at 12:01 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  To Atheists: Who, in your opinion, was Jesus Christ? JJoseph 50 2218 January 9, 2024 at 4:28 am
Last Post: no one
  Still Angry about Abraham and Isaac zwanzig 29 2103 October 1, 2023 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why are you (still) a Christian? FrustratedFool 304 19752 September 29, 2023 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  The power of Christ... zwanzig 60 4565 August 30, 2023 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Jesus Christ is the Beast 666 Satan Emerald_Eyes_Esoteric 36 8069 December 18, 2022 at 10:33 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Creating Christ JML 26 3160 September 29, 2022 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  So has Christ returned TheClearCleanStuff 31 3351 May 20, 2022 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  GOD's Mercy While It Is Still Today - Believe! Mercyvessel 102 8712 January 9, 2022 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  CHRIST THE KICKER…… BrianSoddingBoru4 15 1461 January 3, 2022 at 10:00 am
Last Post: brewer
  CHRIST THE KILLER..... ronedee 31 3525 December 26, 2021 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide