Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 3, 2024, 3:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
The argument against "evil", theists please come to the defense.
RE: The argument against "evil", theists please come to the defense.
(July 21, 2012 at 4:25 pm)Skepsis Wrote:
(July 21, 2012 at 3:49 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: This reality without suffering is illogical.
Why? There technically could exist a reality outside suffering, if you delve into what a God is capable of.
As I already said, the two are linked. Without suffering there cannot be love. Without death there cannot be life. Without disasters there would not be life on earth. I've presented my case. You're dismissing mine without reason.

Quote:Same as a loving God creating beings to love him without suffering is illogical.
Seems to me a loving God creating any suffering in the first place is the more illogical of the two.
And that is a logically bankrupt statement for the reasons already offered.

Quote: Neither (love or suffering) can exist alone. They're interdependent.
No, I don't think so, but I won't bother to take the time to prove it.
Like I said, infinite love and any degree od suffering are contradictive, regardless of whether or not they must come as a pair in reality. Your point in null because a perfectly loving creator would rather avoid creation altogether rather than create something that is destined, rather, by your interpretation, necessarily, subject to suffering that is often times needless and unavoidable.
The infinite love of god is towards us, is what you're addressing if you're addressing my God. You seem to be mis-applying the attribute. God's creation is this reality. That includes all the suffering and death. This god you address is a straw man of your own creation, and doesn't resemble mine.

Quote: So only a loving God would create this reality.
Dafaq?
How, even if I granted you every single point you made, did you get to the statement you made above?
A malevolent God could have made the universe by your same criterion, because good and evil must coexist. The love, in this case, would simply be a byproduct.
You are really going to have a hard time justifying this point.

I've justified it many times. God is the potential that is the creation. The positive force as it had to be to create. Evil is the opposing force that would resist God. A malevolent God, in this construct, is an impossibility. This would have to be a lesser entity, as a destructive force couldn't have created anything. It needs something already created so that it has something to destroy.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The argument against "evil", theists please come to the defense. - by fr0d0 - July 21, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are cats evil beasts that should be killed to save mice? FlatAssembler 34 2472 November 28, 2022 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Fireball
  does evil exist? Quill01 51 3668 November 15, 2022 at 5:30 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  In Defense of a Non-Natural Moral Order Acrobat 84 7305 August 30, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  [Serious] An Argument Against Hedonistic Moral Realism SenseMaker007 25 3032 June 19, 2019 at 7:21 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Argument against Intelligent Design Jrouche 27 3204 June 2, 2019 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  The Argument Against God's Existence From God's Imperfect Choice Edwardo Piet 53 8147 June 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 13902 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  One sentence that throws the problem of evil out of the window. Mystic 473 51094 November 12, 2017 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Reasoning showing homosexuality is evil. Mystic 315 46771 October 23, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Reasoning showing that heterosexuality is evil I_am_not_mafia 21 4637 October 23, 2017 at 8:23 am
Last Post: ignoramus