Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 18, 2024, 12:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thanks for creating a forum with real debate!
RE: Thanks for creating a forum with real debate!
Run-on sentence alert.

epistemotology epistemotology epistemotology fuck i hate that word now Wrote:No, an irrationalist worldview undermines Christianity because Christianity teaches that God is knowable

Which, in blindness and ignorance, you assume is true.

Quote:and belief in God is justified along very specific criteria such as the moral character of God (morals being presupposed first in assessing the nature of knowledge, pointing to God, and good actions including what a sense of a good account of knowledge being grounded in a creator - a chicken and egg problem)

Good actions such as rape, murder, slavery, torture, genocide, etc justify belief in God?

Quote:miracles which are common in devout believers

Confirmation bias.

Quote:and historically form an unbroken stream of supernatural (only fantastically impossible if you have no skill in the spiritual)

Demonstrate proof that anyone has skill in the spiritual.

Quote:the resurrection of Christ (attested by many eyewitnesses)

And independently confirmed by no one, ever. The only kind of testimony more worthless than that of the eyewitness is the 'personal revelation'. There are so many reasons not to trust this eyewitness account, and they should be face-smacking obvious to someone of average intelligence such as yourself.

Quote:the confirmation of prophecy

Suffers from even more problems than the last issue.

Quote:the moral authority of the church

Do you mean the International Man/Boy Love Association in Rome, or the 40,000 conflicting and contradicting strains of the Christian religion?

Quote:the evidence of good fruit in sincere Christians lives

Rendered meaningless by equal evidence of 'good fruit' in the lives of non-Christians.

Quote:the evidence of Christian societies which have existed for 2000 years

Appeal to longevity. There are religions with societies far older.

Quote:the explanatory power that Christianity has in dealing with competing claims of revelation

There isn't a single reason to consider any such claims as valid, no matter who makes them.

Quote:the coherence and explanatory power of theism, etc.

Entirely nonexistent.

Quote:It is possible to know that Christianity is true, although that knowledge comes through seeing the historical reality of Christianity manifest in believers lives. This is something I have had personally happen to me.

It is not possible to know that anything untrue is true, and if you think it is true, it is only because you want to think it is and you have convinced yourself of it. All religions have followers every bit as devout as yourself and are every bit as convinced that they've had spiritual experiences every bit as 'real' as you think yours was. If you think that they are delusional madmen, you understand why we think you're a delusional madman.

Quote:I can assure you that I do not want to place all beliefs on equal footing. I want to show, on the contrary, that only Christianity has the ability to shed light on the human experience with clarity and authority, and that apart from Christianity people are sort of confused as to what their life means and where they fit into everything. They think that they have to make it all up.

If your time spent here has been to demonstrate this, you have not yet even begun to do so to anyone's satisfaction.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thanks for creating a forum with real debate! - by Ryantology - March 14, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Creating an account not working? Ferrocyanide 1 142 April 11, 2024 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Can we have a more relaxed debate forum? ErGingerbreadMandude 32 4207 October 21, 2017 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Joining and creating groups Azu 28 3649 February 16, 2017 at 11:04 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Questions about Debate GOĐ 15 2528 January 10, 2017 at 2:18 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Suggestion for debate forum ErGingerbreadMandude 1 1274 December 20, 2016 at 5:07 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The "Debate Area" KichigaiNeko 8 3045 February 18, 2014 at 7:10 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Thanks for the reminder A Theist 4 2258 September 13, 2011 at 10:08 am
Last Post: frankiej
  Formal Debate Ryft 4 5589 September 11, 2009 at 11:05 am
Last Post: Eilonnwy