Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 7:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Can we have a more relaxed debate forum?
Can we have a more relaxed debate forum?
So...anyway, the last post in the debate section was in 2015..that's not to say the design is bad or anything but it's way too smart and I think people would benefit if it was toned down a bit?

Anyway, my suggestion is to kind of tone it down and just have rules like:

*Don't insult, troll, circlejerk
*no ad hominem attacks

..that's just from the top of my head but yeah, a bunch of general rules to make sure debates don't devolve to insults instead of too much rules? I don't really have an exact idea but I'm just saying let's have a conversation

Again, I'm not saying it's currently bad or anything, it's okay, but if we made some modifications it would be more okay..and maybe we will have more interesting debates.
RE: Can we have a more relaxed debate forum?
Pooley, entropy states that all religious debates must end in "get fucked you deluded imbecile".
Sorry man, it's the laws of nature Dunno
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Perhaps there could be just one rule, that we pretend we're all old friends, used to each other differences, enjoying a cuppa in a relaxed setting and have a friendly end of the night conversation.
Instead of, a bunch of people that don't know each other from a bar of soap, on the freeway in peak hour traffic and late for work. :-)
If only....

Truthfully, the reason debates get heated or turn to flaming is because the underlying rules of logic are broken.
With religious debates the takeaway is, OK, you live in a different reality to me, no worries, one sugar or 2?

And that's as far as civilised religious debate goes... Which is why I don't engage. It's futile.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
In case someone is wondering I'm talking about this section https://atheistforums.org/forum-23.html
It's pretty much dead. So..
OP Title: Yes, it's call a thread.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I wouldn't be against the debaters agreeing on their own rules
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
As one of the participants in a formal debate, the terms follow a standard debating format that has been found to bring more depth and focus to the issue at hand. Since my last debate I have issued many challenges to people over specific points. No one is obligated to debate or should be thought any the less of for not doing so. It takes a lot of time and effort. At the same time, when someone doesn't have a great deal of confidence in them the prospect of having his or her opinions subjected to serious scrutiny can be rather intimidating.
The section remains open and it is to be used for formal debate with agreeing parties.

This is a hard requirement, but necessary.

For 'laxed' debate, there is the remaider of the forum
There's a specific debate section?

I thought the entire forum was open to debate, except for the introduction area.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions about Debate GOĐ 15 2374 January 10, 2017 at 2:18 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Suggestion for debate forum ErGingerbreadMandude 1 1244 December 20, 2016 at 5:07 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Can We Have Specific Kudos? Rhondazvous 73 10456 January 22, 2016 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Is there a way I can have a thread deleted? Mudhammam 2 1446 February 24, 2014 at 3:48 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  The "Debate Area" KichigaiNeko 8 2998 February 18, 2014 at 7:10 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Can we have a visitors map? Something completely different 7 2048 March 22, 2013 at 9:12 am
  Thanks for creating a forum with real debate! jstrodel 112 30697 March 16, 2013 at 9:21 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Firefox can't connect to the forum today pocaracas 24 5007 January 15, 2013 at 9:21 am
  Formal Debate Ryft 4 5552 September 11, 2009 at 11:05 am
Last Post: Eilonnwy