Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Severely Limited Vocabulary of the Current Generation
RE: The Severely Limited Vocabulary of the Current Generation
Depends on the young person. I know plenty of people my age who can't fucking spell or write to save their life. My boyfriend is four years younger than me and smart as fuck in maths and physics but despite having a wide vocabulary himself he still has to google some of the words I use. This is because I read books from a three-century time span. I'm going to know words he doesn't, as he reads books mostly written within the last five decades or less. Soon, kids younger than us will be using words we don't know. That's the nature of language.

Meanwhile, when I first met online a man I dated off and on for some years, he was surprised I was 14 years younger than him - he said I wrote much older than I was. I think it's the nature of every generation to assume that their vocabulary is wider than the next.

My generation is the last to remember a time when "muggle" wasn't in dictionaries. Think about that.

To further clarify - it's reading and writing that help extend a person's vocabulary beyond the ordinary, hence my comment - if you encourage this, you get better results. Our society isn't structured around long emails/letters anymore, so either change society, or figure something else out.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Severely Limited Vocabulary of the Current Generation - by thesummerqueen - March 15, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The current state of engineering Macoleco 14 1082 November 24, 2021 at 7:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What is your current forum goal? Foxaèr 166 17152 June 22, 2018 at 3:49 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  What are the major challenges faced by the students of present generation? Jennie M. Marble 9 818 May 19, 2018 at 12:07 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Help with apple product - Ipod nano 7th generation Dystopia 2 1110 August 25, 2014 at 8:43 am
Last Post: Endo
  What's your current car/vehicle? And what's your fantasy car/vehicle? MJ the Skeptical 34 8925 May 23, 2014 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: max-greece
Star GENERATION ONE: THE ACTIVATION - Let's Create a New Era Together! luckyvn 6 2460 June 30, 2013 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: Tartarus Sauce
  40 Reasons this generation is fucked up. JohnDG 14 23201 September 5, 2012 at 5:19 am
Last Post: Red Celt
  What is the size of your vocabulary? theVOID 68 11647 July 26, 2011 at 5:37 am
Last Post: Gogyoo