Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Severely Limited Vocabulary of the Current Generation
RE: The Severely Limited Vocabulary of the Current Generation
When communicating solely through text, a greater vocabulary, to me, can be analogous to using different tones of voice during speech. It can allow for a nuance in expression that, while not exclusive to choice in diction, is nonetheless nice to have. Also, having a large pool of words to draw on can enable more economical writing - provided your audience understands what the hell you're saying. As apophenia said, you can find yourself needing to learn how to make do with less if your audience isn't familiar with the words you're using. I will admit some minor frustration in having to use a sentence where a single word could suffice or having to forgo precision in favour of a simpler, but more vague word choice. I guess at the end of the day I still have control over my bowels, so I can't complain.
  • *Tempus is hyper-conscious of misspelling, misgrammaring, or otherwise fucking up his post but is too sleep deprived to be able to reliably assess his own post.
Actually, I've decided my post isn't quite over yet, so sit back down. A large vocabulary, as I've already said, is good for expression. But, again as already said, it isn't necessary for it. In a work like a novel, themes, symbols, form, repetition, juxtaposition, and so on, can all be used to express complex things succinctly and / or uniquely. The green light at the dock in The Great Gatsby comes to mind. That was a symbol which carried greater meaning without the need for fancy expressive words. Then again, all words are symbols, I guess. So maybe symbols. Yeah. I'm not sure where I'm going with this. If I stop writing I'm going to have to confront the fact that it's 5am and I don't know whether I can deal with that right now. You know, I recently learned how to correctly use "have" and "has". I was writing and then bam, suddenly something didn't sound right. "'Have' or 'has'?", I asked myself. Chocolate or vanilla? To be or not be? You've probably just realised I'm wasting your time. But I'm not going to stop here, oh no. I'll just keep rambling on, like some tolling bell of doom, tolling until your final days, tolling every time it gets to the good part in that song you like, tolling like some unholy metronome, tolling like that shrill triangle you played in music class at school because all the good instruments were taken, tolling like that awful seat belt warning in new cars that tries to preserve the lives of careless people, tolling like some anvil of a forgotten age, tolling like that microwave of yours commanding you to bath your meagre frozen dinner in its non-ionising radiation, tolling like that anticipatory trill after dialling a telephone number you'd really prefer not to dial, tolling - oh my, how I'll fucking toll my ass off.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Severely Limited Vocabulary of the Current Generation - by Tempus - March 20, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The current state of engineering Macoleco 14 1081 November 24, 2021 at 7:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What is your current forum goal? Foxaèr 166 17126 June 22, 2018 at 3:49 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  What are the major challenges faced by the students of present generation? Jennie M. Marble 9 818 May 19, 2018 at 12:07 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Help with apple product - Ipod nano 7th generation Dystopia 2 1110 August 25, 2014 at 8:43 am
Last Post: Endo
  What's your current car/vehicle? And what's your fantasy car/vehicle? MJ the Skeptical 34 8925 May 23, 2014 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: max-greece
Star GENERATION ONE: THE ACTIVATION - Let's Create a New Era Together! luckyvn 6 2460 June 30, 2013 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: Tartarus Sauce
  40 Reasons this generation is fucked up. JohnDG 14 23201 September 5, 2012 at 5:19 am
Last Post: Red Celt
  What is the size of your vocabulary? theVOID 68 11641 July 26, 2011 at 5:37 am
Last Post: Gogyoo