Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 6, 2024, 9:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible?
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible?
(February 18, 2014 at 9:40 am)Sword of Christ Wrote: The Bible is fully historically accurate in it's depictions of historical locations, rulers and peoples and their cultures, archaeology and recorded history backs all these details. You would find the events of the Exodus in the archaeological record had it been on the scale the Bible describes but we can say they added to the drama a little and that's not quite what happened. Much of history is vague and lost to us anyway we only have a rough approximation, particularly when you're dealing with pre-literate cultures.

Fully historically accurate? Tell that to the living, thriving cultures that existed before the bible claims the world was created. Dodgy

Quote:The Egyptians kept slaves so the ancestors of the Jewish people may well have been kept as slaves. They may not have been defined ethnic group at this point so no-one at the time will have noticed.

I'm not going to accept "may well haves" as absolute truth statements just because you can't find a source that directly contradicts you, that's not how claims work.

Quote:What is the obviously superior alternative and what makes it superior? ThinkingThinking

Have you not been paying attention? The superior solution would be to have a messiah, a Jesus figure, in every area on the globe, preaching the same message that Jesus did to everyone at once, if god's aim was to convey that message as accurately and quickly as possible. There's simply no reason outside of the geographical limitations of the bible's authors why god couldn't have more than one son operating at the same time.

Do you understand the level of violence and hate and misunderstanding that could have been averted completely had everyone had simultaneous access to this information that you claim to be truthful?

Quote:It took time and effort to do as all good things worth doing take.

Is that seriously your answer? Is that something you hold to in your professional life, where you take the most inefficient and time consuming path possible so as to give yourself more work?

Besides, these are people's lives we're talking about, not to mention their supposed immortal souls; is this really the venue for god to be taking this after school special attitude?

Quote:In his Earthly life he was confined to his geographical area in his resurrected life he covers the entire world. Christianity began life as a movement within Judaism but the universal nature and importance of the message to all humanity was apparent.

Was god only limited to one earthly life? I would have thought creating additional people was easy for him... Thinking

Quote:He's convincing enough just not for people like yourself who seek to deny him but you're allowed to due to the fact you have your own freedom of choice.

That doesn't answer my question.

Quote:This is only cultural re-appropriation if you don't believe God was a guiding hand in human history and all religious faith was made up bull. But I'm not saying this therefore I'm not appropriating anything I'm saying you will find God speaking to various people throughout history and you can see the common ground between the various world faiths.

... "It's only cultural re-appropriation if you don't agree with me."

Yes, Sword. Yes, that's rather the point. Without evidence to support your claim that the christian god was the source of these specific asian moral messages, then what you are doing is indistinguishable from cultural re-appropriation. Do you have that evidence? Dodgy

Quote:I can back my assertions up with reasoning and evidence you're the one making unfounded assertions. I haven't seen you support anything you say with reason or supply any evidence, you state opinions as fact as atheists do because that's all you have.

When are you going to start backing up your claims with evidence? Specifically, this one that the christian god was responsible for Confucius' teaching of the golden rule?

And why do I need to support anything I say, when the one thing I've had to say here is that you aren't supporting anything you claim? I'm not making any claims that need supporting.

Quote:They did the Messiah being Jesus Christ and they're accepting Christianity in ever increasing numbers today, Christianity even spread there in the 7th century. Christianity is for all humanity equally you see it's not a tribal/racial thing. It doesn't mean God ignored them before that though he had a hand in their culture, beliefs and history as he did with everyone else. Find me one atheist culture or civilization.

This is a transparent dodge. Rolleyes

Quote:You're the one making bare assertions I'm providing reasoning and historical evidence and facts. You are ignoring it and providing nothing of substance to counter it. I'm open to decent well thought out counter argument presented in a civilized way without ad hominems, accusations of things I'm not doing and name calling. You know you're losing the argument when you resort to that.

So, your response is "no, you are!" followed by more bare assertions, and an accusation of ad hominem attacks... despite the fact that there aren't any in my post. Gotcha. Rolleyes

Quote:If you have a genuine debate on some kind of an interesting point that's great but I'm still waiting for you to present this.

What I'd like to do is get you in a structured debate where you can present your evidence for the existence of your god, with supporting references and detailed explanation, so that it can be clearly shown to everyone, and I can present any problems that I have with it. At the moment, all you're doing is making claim after claim, and I'd love to have a venue where you can adequately explain these claims without derailing a thread to do it.

If you're as confident in the content of your position as you appear to be, then this should be an opportunity you'd relish, no? The kind of evidence you claim to have would even convert me, which should be enough of a reason right there.

Quote:It's a point of view based on the evidence of human history and the revelation of scripture but you have an objection and an alternative idea with evidence and reasoning to support it in opposition to this feel free to present it. So far you have done no such thing.

I don't need to disprove every claim anyone makes, that's not how this works.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Messages In This Thread
Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by catman - February 15, 2014 at 11:56 pm
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by Lek - February 17, 2014 at 10:18 pm
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by Esquilax - February 18, 2014 at 1:39 pm
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by Lek - February 21, 2014 at 10:07 pm
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by Lek - February 21, 2014 at 11:34 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are Paul's writings in the Bible? Fake Messiah 122 6675 October 8, 2023 at 11:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44203 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Other burning bush Fake Messiah 12 1649 May 13, 2021 at 8:58 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Birmingham Archdiocese 'ignored abuse to protect reputation' zebo-the-fat 6 1212 June 21, 2019 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: squidfetish
  Why believe the bible? Angrboda 286 37543 July 22, 2018 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Josephus and other contemporaries on Jesus JairCrawford 271 34210 July 14, 2018 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The other problems with Noahs ark dyresand 27 5115 April 7, 2017 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Christian Hell vs. Other Hells? TrueChristian 17 4740 January 13, 2016 at 12:59 am
Last Post: green.joel2
  Why Christians can't respect other's opinion? rado84 83 14520 July 15, 2015 at 3:40 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  life on other planets drfuzzy 26 5687 July 6, 2015 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Iroscato