Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 6, 2024, 7:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible?
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible?
(February 15, 2014 at 11:56 pm)catman Wrote: If the Bible is the word of God then why is it only focused on one specific region of the entire planet? Was there nothing going on outside of the Middle East worth mentioning? The Han Dynasty maybe?

(P.S - the same holds true for all religious texts)

Good morning catman.

I have not posted here recently but after coming across your thread, I want to.

Let me begin by saying that I think your question is a very good one! It is a question I have never really thought about but one that is good and is worthy of a thoughtful, sincere response. There is much I do not know about God's reasoning behind His methods. I am a fallible human being who even after walking with God for some time must confess that there are many things I am ignorant of regarding God and His methods.

I must also declare up front that whenever someone claims to speak for God I am naturally skeptical. I think this is the way God has made us! I think a proper amount of skepticism is healthy, especially when it comes to claims of divine inspiration. Too often we have seen the negative effects of people accepting what others have claimed to be from God without examining closely what has been said. So I beseech you to bear with me as I attempt to do your question justice.

I will begin by agreeing with your underlying sentiment, i.e. that if the Bible is the inspired word of God, then we should expect to read about not only one specific people group but rather, we should at least in some fashion read about the various people groups that inhabit the earth. For in Paul's words: is God a god of the Jews only? Is He not God also of the Gentiles? Yes He is. Under these two broad categories are all of the world's people groups encompassed. Therefore it stands to reason that the Bible, if it is the word of God, must not only speak of one select people group but ALL people. If the Bible does not in some fashion meet this criteria then I think there would be an argument that it is in fact not the word of God.

On this you and I can agree for the sake of substantive, irenic discussion.

If we start at the beginning and survey the book of Genesis, we see several things. One, God creates a man and a woman who eventually have children. These children in turn grow up and have children and from these the world is populated. This happens in the region which we now commonly refer to generally as the middle east. Why did God choose this particular geographic location? I honestly do not know. Maybe the fertile crescent was the most conducive portion of land God had made for human flourishing? What we do know is that Adam and Eve were not in China or North America or Australia or Antarctica or Russia etc.

From this locale we then read of the spread of people outwards. This takes place primarily after the Tower of Babel account. Noah's sons are then recorded to have had children which in turn had children who would eventually migrate to become the fathers of the Chinese and Russians and Europeans and etc etc.

So we can see in a sense...God zooming out and out and out as He gives us the account of a growing world population. So far this is exactly in line with what we would expect if Genesis was inspired by God. No one is left out or ignored here.

An interesting thing happens next. God stops telling us about the other people groups and focuses or rather, zooms back down onto one man, Abram. Why did God choose Abram, an obscure desert dweller as opposed to lets say....an obscure asiatic eskimo or an obscure nomadic man who dwelt in the northern most regions of the world? It was because God chose Abram. Its that simple. He could have chose anyone I think. But God had a plan.

Before I go on, it is necessary to emphasize here that God intimately revealed Himself to humans at the very outset! This is keeping in line with what we would expect. He does not make man and woman and then hide and leave them as orphans. No no. He gives them instruction. He cares tenderly for them and gives them everything they need, chiefly, Himself. Even after they rebel in a perfect setting He still is there clothing them and protecting them. After this men begin calling on the name of the LORD and praying to Him. He hears their prayer and honors their sacrifices. These "fathers" of the nations knew God. He was not some obscure imagined thing, but rather a living person with whom a relationship could be cultivated. Over time, as people spread apart....things changed. Fathers and mothers no longer desired to have this intimate relationship and kind of just drifted along, eventually allowing their knowledge of God to become distorted. There remained some remnant of this knowledge of God, but time, and evil desire had so distorted this knowledge that people began creating their own gods according to this distortion. This is what is referred to as the noetic effects of sin. Here we also see that the one's responsible for this is not God, but rather the men and women who did not see fit to acknowledge God aright. This is what the beginning of the epistle to the Romans is all about! It is not that God ignored anyone. It is that people began ignoring God. The further people moved from where it all began the more distorted and twisted their concept of God became.

Maybe God chose Abram because he was one of the few who still had a somewhat accurate conception of who God really was? I do not know. But that is not so unreasonable a suggestion now is it?

And who is to say God did not reveal Himself intimately to others at this time? In fact I think He did. It may not be recorded in Genesis for pragmatic reasons, but that does not mean God ignored His beloved creation. God sustained the Chinese the Russians etc. the same way He sustained Abram and eventually the Israelites.

The reason why we have a record of God's dealings with Israel specifically is because once again, God chose Abram who would become Abraham. It was through the Hebrews that God's "oracles" would come. It certainly was nothing in Abram or his decendants themselves that merited this for God Himself said that they were the smallest and least of the nations!

God certainly could have revealed Himself to every single Chinese person the way He revealed Himself to Abraham. But in His divine wisdom He chose not to. That is not to say that the Chinese or Russians at this time were "ignored" or abandoned!

At this point I must conclude this post due to constraints placed on me by my work but I will take up this discourse when I am able. I hope you have been encouraged and edified by what is written thus far.

Messages In This Thread
Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by catman - February 15, 2014 at 11:56 pm
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by Lek - February 17, 2014 at 10:18 pm
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by discipulus - February 21, 2014 at 11:43 am
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by Lek - February 21, 2014 at 10:07 pm
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by Lek - February 21, 2014 at 11:34 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are Paul's writings in the Bible? Fake Messiah 122 6674 October 8, 2023 at 11:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44203 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Other burning bush Fake Messiah 12 1648 May 13, 2021 at 8:58 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Birmingham Archdiocese 'ignored abuse to protect reputation' zebo-the-fat 6 1212 June 21, 2019 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: squidfetish
  Why believe the bible? Angrboda 286 37542 July 22, 2018 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Josephus and other contemporaries on Jesus JairCrawford 271 34209 July 14, 2018 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The other problems with Noahs ark dyresand 27 5114 April 7, 2017 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Christian Hell vs. Other Hells? TrueChristian 17 4740 January 13, 2016 at 12:59 am
Last Post: green.joel2
  Why Christians can't respect other's opinion? rado84 83 14520 July 15, 2015 at 3:40 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  life on other planets drfuzzy 26 5687 July 6, 2015 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Iroscato