Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seriously, how is anyone dumb enough to be fat?
RE: Seriously, how is anyone dumb enough to be fat?
Well, Kichi, let's see what WHO has to say on this shall we? After all they are the authoritah on the issue...

paulpablo: Being obese isn't really that bad.
WHO: Obesity has reached epidemic proportions globally, with more than 1 billion adults overweight - at least 300 million of them clinically obese - and is a major contributor to the global burden of chronic disease and disability.
WHO: The sheer scale of the obesity and diabetes epidemics require responses at a population level, as well as by individuals. Approaches based only on personal education to promote behaviour change are unlikely to succeed in an environment where there are plentiful inducements to engage in opposing behaviours. Personal education must be supported by appropriate changes to the broader environment, such as transportation, urban design, advertising and food pricing.

I don't agree with their conclusion, pricing is not the way out of it and it hasn't worked for smokers (check here we a slightly higher smoking rate than America despite a pack here being ~$18 and a pack in the US being ~$5), and in fact the worrying thing is that it's literally taxing our poor. My brother's a pack a day smoker, he also earns less than $700/week so that ~$126/week represents about 1/5th of his entire income, and the situation is the same for countless others. The problem isn't price, the problem is people do not believe that a dangerous lifestyle will result in unwanted consequences, most have the view paulpablo has which is "I'd have to be unlucky to have health consequences from my lifestyle" - which is total bullshit.

The main contributor to getting Type 2 Diabetes is high visceral fat; although other contributors also linked to overweight and obesity also play a role. This is the reason why there's an epidemic especially in India, South Asia and Africa, it's because these people generally have body types that build more visceral fat when they're just a bit overweight. I did go over this before - I believe myself to be at risk because there's a family history of diabetes; and a family history is to do with genetics and specifically with the growth of that visceral fat - that's what puts certain people at high risk.

Think about the term epidemic and what it means, the mental images that it conjures up - widespread catastrophic disease plaguing society. Overweight, Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes are preventable. But then this goes back to the entire topic - why prevent disease if you already firmly believe it won't be happening to you?
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke

Messages In This Thread
RE: Seriously, how is anyone dumb enough to be fat? - by Aractus - March 28, 2014 at 3:08 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Serious Thread. Seriously? onlinebiker 12 1276 May 9, 2022 at 8:20 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Enough with the cliches Foxaèr 41 2623 October 24, 2021 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Brian37
  I am seriously considering trying this. Brian37 51 1879 May 21, 2021 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Nutella is for fat people and kids, right? Foxaèr 12 995 November 6, 2020 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  Dumb donald's parents? no one 2 456 October 13, 2020 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Do not dumb here. Not a dumb area. no one 16 1272 June 5, 2020 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  Dumb things people say Lemon Curry 17 1542 April 21, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  2019 has sucked a fat one so far SteelCurtain 11 1425 February 19, 2019 at 8:16 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  are any of you honest enough to simply answer the question asked? Drich 120 10778 February 13, 2019 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Very low fat recipes purplepurpose 39 2556 August 21, 2018 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Joods