Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seriously, how is anyone dumb enough to be fat?
RE: Seriously, how is anyone dumb enough to be fat?
(March 31, 2014 at 10:35 pm)KichigaiNeko Wrote: "Rule of thumb" is that anything excessive is not good for the human body. Even excessive exercise. What disturbs me is the ease of obsession one can achieve by 'calorie/ kilojoule counting', 'meat/ non-meat' eating, gym/ non-gym exercise.
Yes I think we agree here that obsession isn't a good thing. There is a difference between awareness and learning and that of obsession. Being aware of how much you should eat is different to be obsessed by calories.
Quote:Seriously, how can anyone be dumb enough to give themselves and obsession? What is so wrong with just eating enough of what you like to eat?
Depends if it's a good habit or a bad habit. A good habit trumps a bad one, we all know that.
Quote:BMI has been discredited as an inaccurate "golden rule" and is viewed more as a guide line. There is of course the emotional eaters. How does the WHO doctrine account for them?
Well yes BMI is limited, but it in fact fails most in the overweight to obese category where it does fail to recognize a proportion of people that are actually obese and only categorize them as overweight. It also doesn't account for aging and a more accurate calculation would take in: height, weight, gender and age.

But just because it's limited doesn't mean we can't use it. Hell Newtonian Mechanics has been disproven as well, but we still used it to put people on the moon and we still use it to put satellites into orbit!
Quote:77kg on 1600 calories a day? Good grief Charlie Brown! My father would think his throat was cut!
I usually consume more, you caught me on a rather light day.

(March 31, 2014 at 10:37 pm)Clueless Morgan Wrote: Why is this "nannystating?" I don't mind knowing how many calories are in the food I'm eating and it can help people make better choices by simply giving them the information. If they don't care about calories they'll ignore it, if they do they'll appreciate it.

Giving information isn't being a nannystate - what's being a nannystate is legislating the maximum drink size. Now that's some bullshit right there.
While I do agree with you, if people took notice how many calories are in the foods they buy at the supermarket they should be able to reasonably accurately estimate how many calories are in a restaurant meal, and while I do think having the number of calories in fast food and restaurant food displayed is helpful, I don't think it should be mandatory.
Quote:* A major pet peeve of mine is Nutrition Information boxes on foods and drinks. I think it should be a requirement, especially with drinks, that the Nutrition Information be given for the bottle, as well as the serving size, not just for a serving size and then tell you that there's actually three servings in the bottle knowing full well that the person is going to sit there and drink the whole thing. I think it's hugely misleading for them to do it by serving size only. I think this could easily be extended to all foods where Nutrition Information is required as part of their packaging.
Well that's not quite true since they give you the serving size amount and also the average per 100g or 1kg (or whatever unit you use there, eg. lbs). But in terms of coke for instance, the 375ml can serving size is 375ml, the 600ml bottle (the most popular size) serving size is 600ml, and yet the 1.25L and 2L bottle serving size is 250ml! Even though most tumblers hold around 350ml not 250ml.

There's only one place to get a kebab in Canberra in my opinion, and that's here, one of my favourite takeaways, but even without having nutrition information I know the thing contains around 700 maybe 800 calories, certainly not unhealthy in a proper diet. The trick with fast food isn't not to eat it, but to choose good options.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke

Messages In This Thread
RE: Seriously, how is anyone dumb enough to be fat? - by Aractus - March 31, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Serious Thread. Seriously? onlinebiker 12 1276 May 9, 2022 at 8:20 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Enough with the cliches Foxaèr 41 2623 October 24, 2021 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Brian37
  I am seriously considering trying this. Brian37 51 1879 May 21, 2021 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Nutella is for fat people and kids, right? Foxaèr 12 995 November 6, 2020 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  Dumb donald's parents? no one 2 456 October 13, 2020 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Do not dumb here. Not a dumb area. no one 16 1272 June 5, 2020 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  Dumb things people say Lemon Curry 17 1542 April 21, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  2019 has sucked a fat one so far SteelCurtain 11 1425 February 19, 2019 at 8:16 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  are any of you honest enough to simply answer the question asked? Drich 120 10778 February 13, 2019 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Very low fat recipes purplepurpose 39 2556 August 21, 2018 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Joods