Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seriously, how is anyone dumb enough to be fat?
RE: Seriously, how is anyone dumb enough to be fat?
(April 1, 2014 at 12:43 pm)Clueless Morgan Wrote: Here's the Nutrition Information box on a bag of Doritos:

Where is the nutrition information for the bag? Oh, wait, they don't give it. And I'll be damned if anyone I've ever seen eating Doritos has counted out 11 chips to be their serving - they get a bowl and they fill the bowl with however many chips fill that bowl, and often go back for more. Sometimes they don't even fill a bowl, they just park the bag in their lap and eat away until they've eaten half the bag - or the whole bag.
I've counted the chips in a bag before, it's well more than the number according to the number of chips per XXg (about 30% more or so), so I have no idea where they get that number from or why they are allowed to use it. The number of chips per XXg in pringles is probably accurate though.

But you do bring up a good point, here's a doritos bag in AU:
[Image: wh0nr0t.jpg]
See I would have thought that you would have had an equivalent of the 100g panel on your packaging.

Here's a coke 1.25L bottle:
[Image: gizkhMH.jpg]
The can:
[Image: coca-cola-375ml-nip-july-2013.png]
I don't have a picture for the 600ml, so here's the 600ml lemon-flavour version:
[Image: coca-cola-lemon-flavour-nip-november-201...1.2013.png]
As you can see they all say "1 per package" not like your single-serve versions.

But... check this out:

375ml bottle:
[Image: 3SAn4Ez.jpg]
3L bottle:
[Image: TuHFRMa.jpg]
When I finish the bottle I'll return it to Woolies and ask for the extra litre promised on the bottle! I'll let you know how it goes. Smile
Quote:You might say, "People just need to do the math and they'll figure out their caloric intake," but I know a lot of people who don't even realize that the calorie count posted on food, especially bottled drinks, is given per serving, and if they do realize that it's by serving, they don't realize there are multiple servings in a single bottle. (I've pointed this out to people and it's obvious by the realization on their faces that they never realized this information before.)
Well I think if you had the "per 100g" column as we do you'd find the "per package" of little relevance. I do agree with you that arbitrary serving sizes are often of little relevance. Interestingly though, for cornflakes the serving size is 30g and I decided to weigh my average serving and guess what - it came out to exactly 30g, so I guess in at least that one is accurate (although I have more than 250ml of milk with it - more like 300-350ml). Products, like doritos, are always shrinking the package size in order to put the price up by stealth. At the moment we're down to 185g bags... so within a year or so they'll re-launch the 250g bag for another round of endless product shrinkage.
Quote:With things like Vitamin Water, they are artificially lowering the perceived calories in each bottle by giving the information by serving size knowing full well 90%+ of the people drinking that product are going to glance at the calories listed in the Nutrition Information box, make the assumption Vitamin Water wants them to make (that a serving size is one bottle so they choose Vitamin Water as their product perceiving it as a healthier beverage) and drink the whole bottle in one go.
And yet if I check it here I see that just as coke and others the stated serving size is 1 per package in Australia. I am a little shocked that coke et all in the USA are making artificial serving sizes for what are obviously single-serve bottles.
Quote:Information hurts no one and the companies that produce these products already have the necessary information and facility to print it on their packaging. Coke does it. Pepsi does it. At least it will add two lines to their Nutrition Information box and that's not objectionable. At most, they'd be required to add a second column, and that's not objectionable either - Pepsi did it without altering the size of the box too greatly. I see no reason to oppose legislating a change like this. And if it doesn't happen through Senate or Congress, let it be mandated by the FDA.
Yes, I agree with you on the second column - principally because we already have it - I just disagree with forcing it to be the product size. No one needs to know the total calories in a 700g box of cereal, nor does the total calories in a 3L bottle of milk help anyone that isn't going to scoff the entire bottle. While we're at it, we don't need to know the number of calories in a 1kg block of cheese either, nor in a 500g block of cheese - no one is going to eat an entire block at once, and if you give them the calories per 100g it's a very straightforward calculation anyway.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke

Messages In This Thread
RE: Seriously, how is anyone dumb enough to be fat? - by Aractus - April 1, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Serious Thread. Seriously? onlinebiker 12 1276 May 9, 2022 at 8:20 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Enough with the cliches Foxaèr 41 2623 October 24, 2021 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Brian37
  I am seriously considering trying this. Brian37 51 1879 May 21, 2021 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Nutella is for fat people and kids, right? Foxaèr 12 995 November 6, 2020 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  Dumb donald's parents? no one 2 456 October 13, 2020 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Do not dumb here. Not a dumb area. no one 16 1272 June 5, 2020 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  Dumb things people say Lemon Curry 17 1542 April 21, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  2019 has sucked a fat one so far SteelCurtain 11 1425 February 19, 2019 at 8:16 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  are any of you honest enough to simply answer the question asked? Drich 120 10778 February 13, 2019 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Very low fat recipes purplepurpose 39 2556 August 21, 2018 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Joods