Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seriously, how is anyone dumb enough to be fat?
RE: Seriously, how is anyone dumb enough to be fat?
(April 2, 2014 at 12:15 pm)Clueless Morgan Wrote: Like I said, I think they do it to artificially deflate the perceived calorie count in the bottle. Why else would Vitamin Water give the calories only by SERVING SIZE, but create a whole column for giving the amount of vitamins for the whole BOTTLE? What's the deal, VW? Why are you playing games?
Yes, and I can't understand the reasoning behind it, especially as it's not the standard practise here.
Quote:This is why I have a smidgen of respect for Coke when they put up front the calorie count of their whole bottles. But just a smidgen. Coke also seems to be the sole exception in giving Nutrition Information for their whole, single serving containers: 8oz and 12oz cans, 16oz and 20 oz bottles, but I'm not sure about 1L bottles. I still think the information should be given for whole 2L bottles, though.

(....)

I know there are people who drink a whole 2L of Coke in a day, sometimes multiples in a day. And for some, it's easier to estimate calories by percent of a whole than by multiples of a serving size. (i.e. it's easier for them to determine what half of 1800 calories is than to multiply 225 calories per serving by 4 servings to get the same number)
Drinking 2L of coke in a day is not the same as drinking 2L as one serving. Most people drink it one glass at a time, not straight out of the bottle. But that said, I totally agree that the 20oz/600g bottle should display the serving size as 1 per container as it does in Australia; those bottles are specifically designed to be consumed straight from the container.
Quote:In principle, I would be okay with having a Nutrition Information box that included something like the 100g column (translated to something Americans could understand of course Wink) but I also wonder if that's going to create the same confusion as nutrition information by serving size - it's just a larger serving size.

(For blocks of cheese, they could do what they do for butter and put marks on the wrapper indicating where to cut the stick in order to get 2 tablespoons or whatever - only they could make the marks to indicate a serving size. Just a thought.)
Well there's no better time than present to go metric. Here's the UK's label:
[Image: AM_label.jpg]
Similar to ours it too has to the 100g column. The only thing that I would like to see changed in our Australian labels is the energy always displayed in both kJ (Kilojoules) and Cal (Calories) - it is very simple to convert kJ to Cal in your head, however it would be nice if all products had both. We use kJ as standard because it's metric, however I know I think in terms of Calories and not Kilojoules.

There's no problem with having serving sizes, they are often useful. The serving size for butter or margarine is typically stated as 10g, which is 2x tsp - anyone can measure out 2 teaspoons to make sure they're using the correct amount, if they want to. If the number is 15ml that's about 1x tbsp - anyone can measure a tablespoon! Or as you say, you can cut the butter up along the marked lines - for cheese it's not marked but you can still easily estimate it, or work it out if you want to (I seriously don't know anyone who doesn't know how big a tablespoon is!)
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke

Messages In This Thread
RE: Seriously, how is anyone dumb enough to be fat? - by Aractus - April 2, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Serious Thread. Seriously? onlinebiker 12 1276 May 9, 2022 at 8:20 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Enough with the cliches Foxaèr 41 2623 October 24, 2021 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Brian37
  I am seriously considering trying this. Brian37 51 1879 May 21, 2021 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Nutella is for fat people and kids, right? Foxaèr 12 995 November 6, 2020 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  Dumb donald's parents? no one 2 456 October 13, 2020 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Do not dumb here. Not a dumb area. no one 16 1272 June 5, 2020 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  Dumb things people say Lemon Curry 17 1542 April 21, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  2019 has sucked a fat one so far SteelCurtain 11 1425 February 19, 2019 at 8:16 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  are any of you honest enough to simply answer the question asked? Drich 120 10778 February 13, 2019 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Very low fat recipes purplepurpose 39 2556 August 21, 2018 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Joods