Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 11:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why so many "anti-feminists" in the atheist community?
RE: Why so many "anti-feminists" in the atheist community?
(November 19, 2015 at 12:34 am)Evie Wrote:
(November 19, 2015 at 12:28 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: The fact is that the Catholic Church put together the original definition of "Christian". By your standard given above it follows that anyone eh deviates from that standard -- which certainly would include Protestants -- are not true Christians.

Nah, defintions can change. The dicionary today is where things are defined today not who originally defined it.

Earlier in this discussion you implied that the original definition is the definitive one -- I have added the emphasis:

(November 18, 2015 at 6:37 pm)Evie Wrote: Also I would argue that seen as the original feminist movement was for equal rights of women and wasn't anti-men at all, the feminists who think men should all be castrated are not only being bigoted and giving real feminists a bad name, but they're completely distorting the actual definition of feminism.

You're not being consistent; now you're saying that the current definition in the dictionary is what rules the matter.

I don't see any inherent contradiction between the dictionary definition of feminism and a woman who thinks men should be castrated. A feminist can both work towards "political, social, and economic equality to men" and be a man-hater. With that being the case, I find your distinction to be ad hoc, and I stand by my assessment of you committing NTS, per your own definition.

(November 19, 2015 at 12:34 am)Evie Wrote: I agree. The groups don't define it at all, the dictionary does.

No, it doesn't. People define words.

(November 19, 2015 at 12:34 am)Evie Wrote: Yes, ultimately that is where the definitions come from and definitions change overtime... but a group still doesn't define the definition used. 

And yet as shown above, you're defining man-haters as not feminist based precisely upon the original sentiments of the original feminists. You cannot eat your cake and have it, too.

(November 19, 2015 at 12:34 am)Evie Wrote: Indeed, but unless the definition of feminism that involves essentially being pro-women's rights and equality for both sexes ever ends up being required to be dropped from the dictionary altogether, then any other definition used is irrelevant to that definition. To conflate any other definition with that definition is to commit the equivocation fallacy.

Yet you've done exactly that in this discussion.

(November 19, 2015 at 12:34 am)Evie Wrote: I believe that. I know you're a very reasonable person I wouldn't think that of you Smile

I appreciate the kind words and the civil discussion. Also, in doing some background reading for this reply, I've learnt a bit. Thanks for the impetus.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why so many "anti-feminists" in the atheist community? - by Thumpalumpacus - November 19, 2015 at 2:36 pm
SPEEDBUMP - by Fidel_Castronaut - December 4, 2015 at 9:42 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 5796 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  History: The Iniquitous Anti-Christian French Revolution. Nishant Xavier 27 2285 August 6, 2023 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 2067 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  How many of you know that there is atheism in Sanatana Dharma ? hindu 19 2319 June 7, 2020 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
Information [Serious] How many reasonable solutions are there to any particular social issue? Prof.Lunaphiles 69 7276 April 11, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Does forming an atheist community pose a risk to becoming a religion? yogamaster 42 4718 June 22, 2019 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Angry Atheists and Anti-Theists Agnostico 186 19034 December 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3534 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Why do so many Christians claim to be former Atheists? Cecelia 42 6303 April 1, 2018 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why America is anti-theist. Goosebump 3 1131 March 1, 2018 at 9:06 am
Last Post: mlmooney89