Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 1:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why so many "anti-feminists" in the atheist community?
RE: Why so many "anti-feminists" in the atheist community?
(February 24, 2015 at 2:46 am)dyresand Wrote:
(February 24, 2015 at 1:56 am)psychoslice Wrote: Its just the bitching I can't handle.

I hate how its corrupted gaming journalism for the worse.
There really is not journalism or even media/news ethics.

Gaming journalism has always been a farce, which is what makes the whole GG thing laughable. It's just another variant of entertainment journalism, which is always vapid. And at its core, it's really just another form of marketing for the big studios, because actually diving into the tech used in games, or talking about the various social issues in games (in both their construction (why, hello EA abusing its employees) and delivery) shatters the fantasy, and is boring to most to boot. That's why the upcoming GDC will receive far less coverage than PAX East, and why the PAX East coverage will focus on game demos, previews, and the concert(s) rather than the presentations.

And, really, what do people expect? Even in the realm of entertainment journalism, gaming journalism just doesn't have much to report on. There are no marriages, divorces, affairs, fashion, sex tapes, etc. to waste time with. There usually isn't much in the way of shady financial things. Studio 38 was really the big one of the last decade or so. Usually, it's simple mismanagement that causes studios to shutter. It's certainly not as wide spread as sports teams essentially holding cities hostage for tax money in order to build yet another new stadium.

And, even more laughable, the few people who do try to critique games as the pieces of art gamers want them to be seen as are shot down and threatened and harassed for it. I don't think Roger Ebert ever got doxxed or threatened for 'getting it wrong'. So, when people try to elevate the discourse surrounding games, gamers lash out. Give me a fucking break. You can't hold journalistic ethics on a pedestal and attempt to silence the voices you disagree with at the same time.

I can get the anger about real journalism. Coverage of politics, health, and science is laughable at best, deliberately misleading at worst, and always embarrassingly shallow. The incessant need to make everything seem to have two equally reasonable yet divided opinions on things, when, in actuality, one is a fringe belief or opinion, is actively damaging. It's what elevates the anti-vaxxers, the creationists, and all the other quacks out there, and it needs to stop. As does the media fawning over idiots like the Robertsons and Duggars.

But gaming journalism? LMFAO.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why so many "anti-feminists" in the atheist community? - by KevinM1 - February 24, 2015 at 12:06 pm
SPEEDBUMP - by Fidel_Castronaut - December 4, 2015 at 9:42 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 5802 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  History: The Iniquitous Anti-Christian French Revolution. Nishant Xavier 27 2286 August 6, 2023 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 2068 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  How many of you know that there is atheism in Sanatana Dharma ? hindu 19 2319 June 7, 2020 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
Information [Serious] How many reasonable solutions are there to any particular social issue? Prof.Lunaphiles 69 7282 April 11, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Does forming an atheist community pose a risk to becoming a religion? yogamaster 42 4720 June 22, 2019 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Angry Atheists and Anti-Theists Agnostico 186 19040 December 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3534 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Why do so many Christians claim to be former Atheists? Cecelia 42 6304 April 1, 2018 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why America is anti-theist. Goosebump 3 1131 March 1, 2018 at 9:06 am
Last Post: mlmooney89