Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 21, 2024, 5:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Objective evidence for the existence of Jesus Christ?
RE: Objective evidence for the existence of Jesus Christ?
(March 31, 2015 at 10:04 pm)Pyrrho Wrote:
(March 31, 2015 at 9:47 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Then you need to delete the standard of "objective" from the OP and admit that you are willing to accept the subjective bullshit of believers in its place.

I am not.

I am saying that the exact same standards of evidence apply, whether we are discussing Jesus, Homer, or any other ancient person.  Typically, all one has in these sorts of cases is testimony of other people.  If you dismiss all testimony as irrelevant, you will have trouble establishing the existence of anyone from 2000 years ago or earlier.  Somehow, though, I think you will agree that some people existed at that time...

My guess is that you have not been paying attention to my posts in this thread, or you would have observed me saying that I do not believe Jesus ever existed.

That's really one of the points I've been trying to make.  The word of someone who actually witnessed an event is going to be much more valid and valuable than claims made by someone who wasn't there and has no means of actually knowing what happened.  In the case of Jesus, we have no contemporary eyewitnesses, absolutely nobody actually saw Jesus or heard what he had to supposedly say.  At best, these are second or third hand sources.  Why should we accept that they actually knew anything about what they were saying, just because there are so many people with a vested emotional interest in believing Jesus was real?
There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide mankind that cannot be achieved as well or better through secular means.
Bitch at my blog! Follow me on Twitter! Subscribe to my YouTube channel!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Objective evidence for the existence of Jesus Christ? - by Cephus - March 31, 2015 at 10:54 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 207 11999 February 12, 2024 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2592 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3472 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1753 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 4980 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 8381 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2962 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Do atheists believe in the existence of friendship? KerimF 191 10721 June 9, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  What is the worst religion in existence? Hi600 89 6545 May 6, 2023 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1072 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump