Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the worst religion in existence?
What is the worst religion in existence?
I'd have to say that Islam is the worst. Worshipping a prophet that is supposed to have married a 9 year old (who he started raping at 6 IIRC) is the absolute lowest of the low. No other religion is that bad.

I have to rank Judaism as worse than Christianity, if only because Judaism gave birth to Christianity as Islam.

I find Buddhism and Hinduism to be somewhat less bad than all three of the Abrahamic religions.

The reality of the matter is that Abraham, Jesus, Muhammad, and the Buddha are all fictional characters who didn't exist at all, but the fictional stories about the Buddha are less bad than the fictional stories about Jesus, which are less bad than the fictional stories about Abraham, which are less bad than the fictional stories about Muhammad.
RE: What is the worst religion in existence?
hmmm...
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

(December 29, 2022 at 1:24 am)Hi600 Wrote: I'd have to say that Islam is the worst. Worshipping a prophet that is supposed to have married a 9 year old (who he started raping at 6 IIRC) is the absolute lowest of the low. No other religion is that bad.

I have to rank Judaism as worse than Christianity, if only because Judaism gave birth to Christianity as Islam.

I find Buddhism and Hinduism to be somewhat less bad than all three of the Abrahamic religions.

The reality of the matter is that Abraham, Jesus, Muhammad, and the Buddha are all fictional characters who didn't exist at all, but the fictional stories about the Buddha are less bad than the fictional stories about Jesus, which are less bad than the fictional stories about Abraham, which are less bad than the fictional stories about Muhammad.

All the major world religions have good and bad in them. 

There are some that the world would certainly be better off without. These include the Unification Church, as practiced in Japan. Also Soka Gakkai, which, although it's an offshoot of a respectable branch of Buddhism, has turned into a money-grabbing outfit that preys on vulnerable people. 

There are terrible Christian organizations which serve only to enrich their leaders. There are extremist Muslim and Jewish groups, which the world would be better off without. But overall these major religions, in history, have done enough good for people so that we don't need to damn the whole thing, blanket-wise -- they are diverse. The Unification Church and Soka Gakkai, on the other hand, don't have enough redeeming qualities in their histories to make them even a little bit respectable.
(December 29, 2022 at 1:24 am)Hi600 Wrote: I'd have to say that Islam is the worst. Worshipping a prophet that is supposed to have married a 9 year old (who he started raping at 6 IIRC) is the absolute lowest of the low. No other religion is that bad.

Define “worst”

Condone or promote practices which offends personal sensibility? In that case marrying a 8 year old hardly holds a candle to promoting human sacrafice on a massive scale, or to calls for mass suicides, or to traffic in slaves on a massive scale

Doing large amount of harm on a per capita basis?  Which religions promotes human sacrifice, call for mass suicide, or demand traffic in slavery most enthusiastically?

Doing large amount Of harm in total?   In that it is hard to argue with Islam and Christianity simply because they are so prevalent and so have the opportunity to spread over so many people, so even if per capita harm is less. Aggregate harm is surely more.

You can surely conceive of other manners of measuring “worst”

If you're an Ahmadi, Ismaili, Quranic, or Shia Muslim, you don't believe Mohammed married Aisha before she was a teenager, or maybe even don't believe it was before she was twenty. It's hard to understand what Sufis think was really the case, they tend to mystify things and describe them in terms of symbolism.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.

All of them, no exceptions.
I think anything taken to extremes is bad.

I don't see a problem with the person who finds solace in going to church and saying prayers. It's a different thing when people feel scared, threatened, or entitled to hurt others in the name of their beliefs.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

No religion is evil in and of itself. Religiously based evil depends upon the active complicity of the believer.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
The draw of most religions is that they promise solutions to the ultimate question of life and death. Since they all disagree, at most one can be right. Since these answers are derived from "revelation", it is overwhelmingly likely that all are wrong.

So, what are the redeeming qualities? They provide community. They often teach people to do good to their neighbors. They just might have some general parental-like wisdom for how to live a fulfilling life.

The true believer, however, believes the dogma, cultural baggage and pure ignorance that comes along with ancient writings. "Moderate" religions ignore most of their holy text, and focus only on "nice" stuff. In doing so, they would be considered heretics by the original founders of the religion.
(December 29, 2022 at 2:22 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: I think anything taken to extremes is bad.  

I don't see a problem with the person who finds solace in going to church and saying prayers.  It's a different thing when people feel scared, threatened, or entitled to hurt others in the name of their beliefs.

It's a gateway drug for others.  IMO, they all need to go, peacefully and of their own accord via economic forces and other real estate transactions.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do atheists believe in the existence of friendship? KerimF 191 9164 June 9, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Pride - the worst sin according to C.S.Lewis Duty 72 6852 February 25, 2023 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Atheism and the existence of peanut butter R00tKiT 721 45640 November 15, 2022 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
Information The worst thing according to Iranians Eclectic 2 817 September 19, 2022 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: Eclectic
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 14458 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4029 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
Information The Best Logique Evidence of God Existence Nogba 225 23000 August 2, 2019 at 11:44 am
Last Post: comet
  Atheists being asked about the existence of Jesus Der/die AtheistIn 154 16795 January 24, 2019 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Arguments against existence of God. Mystic 336 77038 December 7, 2018 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  If the existence of an enduring soul was proven... Gawdzilla Sama 45 4489 November 26, 2018 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama