Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 21, 2024, 10:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Objective evidence for the existence of Jesus Christ?
RE: Objective evidence for the existence of Jesus Christ?
I think we may not be understanding one another.

It is a fallacy to accept something is true purely because an expert says so. Even experts are required to produce evidence. I'm not talking about dismissing evidence presented by experts. It's only a fallacy if we must accept their opinion simply on their say-so. 

Here's why The Historical Jesus discussions invokes the fallacy:
"What was the real story behind Jesus?"
"You know, all the scholars say Jesus existed."
"Really, what evidence convinces the scholars that Jesus existed?"
"Are you saying all the scholars are wrong?"
"No, I'm just asking what evidence convinces them that Jesus existed."
"Well, all the scholars say Jesus existed."
"So I've heard but what evidence convinces them."
"Look, if all the scholars say Jesus existed, that should be good enough for you."
"Um, well call me curious. Just show me the evidence."
"Did I mention all the scholars say Jesus existed?"
"Yeah, a couple times now. Can I please see the evidence?"
***A dozen exchanges later***
"OK, here's the evidence." (Josephus, Tacitus, The Bible)
"That's it?"
"It's enough for all the scholars."
"That's hardly convincing."
"You know, all the scholars don't agree with you."

I call it the "Scholars Say Shuffle".
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist

Messages In This Thread
RE: Objective evidence for the existence of Jesus Christ? - by DeistPaladin - March 31, 2015 at 11:17 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 207 11995 February 12, 2024 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2591 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3470 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1751 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 4975 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 8370 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2961 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Do atheists believe in the existence of friendship? KerimF 191 10712 June 9, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  What is the worst religion in existence? Hi600 89 6540 May 6, 2023 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1072 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump