Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 10:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Core Message Of Christianity Isn't One Of Love
RE: Core Message Of Christianity Isn't One Of Love
(August 28, 2015 at 8:42 am)lkingpinl Wrote: Christians often ignore the fact the Jesus talked more about Hell than any other.  He mentions it frequently and drew many metaphors about how it is an eternal separation from God.  

You are cherry picking just as you accuse Christians of doing.  Read everything in its context.

In Matthew 15, there is an incident that, at first, seems to confirm the idea that Jesus came only for the Jews. Jesus was traveling through Tyre and Sidon, a Gentile region, and “a Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, ‘Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is demon-possessed and suffering terribly’” (Matthew 15:22). This Gentile woman recognized Jesus as the Messiah (“Son of David”), but “Jesus did not answer a word” (verse 23). As the woman kept up her appeals, Jesus finally responded, but His words seemed to hold little hope: “I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel” (verse 24). However, the woman did not give up, and Jesus eventually granted her request, based on her “great faith” (verse 28).

The fact that Jesus helped the Canaanite woman, even though His mission was to the Jews, is a significant detail in the Gospel narrative. Throughout His earthly ministry, Jesus gave other indications that His power and compassion reached to all people. He healed a Roman centurion’s servant (Luke 7:1–10). He traveled through the Gentile region of the Gerasenes (Mark 5:1). He ministered in a Samaritan city (John 4).

Jesus came to save everybody (1 John 2:2). Jesus Christ is God Himself (John 1:1). Jesus died on the cross as the payment for all our sins, and He rose from death in resurrection (1 Corinthians 15:3–4). Jesus said He was the Good Shepherd, and He predicted that His flock would be greatly expanded: “I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen

to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd” (John 10:16).
We must also not forget that There is no mention of hell in the Old Testament. Some translations use the word hell but if you look in a linear bible you will note that the original word is just talking about the grave, not the place of torment. Jesus was an apocalyptic Jew and taught concepts that you won't find among the prophets like the bosom of Abraham and the resurrection. think I'm wrong, then show me in the Ot examples of a general resurrection. Remember David said if he descended to hell god would be there, then someone else said there is no remembrance of god in the grave. The Bible is such that anybody who finds support for anything can be accused of cherry picking by anyone who finds support for the opposite view.

The Canaanite woman tells us nothing of Jesus view toward gentiles. He called them dogs and told his disciples not to give the dogs what belongs to the children. He told his disciples that the reason he spoke in parables was so that they who were without would not be able to understand him and repent and be forgiven. I'm not a Jew nor a gentile so I know he would consider me to be an outsider and hide from me the knowledge that would lead me to forgiveness. No matter what you say, I've already read what he said, or at least what the biblical writers said he said.

The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Core Message Of Christianity Isn't One Of Love - by c172 - August 26, 2015 at 10:05 am
RE: Core Message Of Christianity Isn't One Of Love - by Rhondazvous - August 29, 2015 at 10:46 am
Duplicate - by Rhondazvous - August 29, 2015 at 10:47 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44291 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Denial isn't just a river in Egypt. onlinebiker 3 1105 December 27, 2019 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  My current religious teacher isn't as good as I thought Der/die AtheistIn 10 2018 November 16, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  God isn't all powerful dyresand 14 2398 January 31, 2017 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Hell isn't scary dyresand 71 9100 June 11, 2016 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Lek
  The number one reason not to follow Christianity Aegon 43 9143 March 11, 2016 at 10:56 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6973 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Pope Francis backs peace efforts in Christmas Day message zebo-the-fat 63 15043 December 27, 2015 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  At its Core, Christianity is a Gay Religion Rhondazvous 34 6683 July 6, 2015 at 10:15 am
Last Post: Metis
  Pope says God isn't a magician Whateverist 33 5194 November 4, 2014 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: Minimalist