Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 5:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proving the Bible is false in few words.
RE: Proving the Bible is false in few words.
(May 12, 2010 at 10:53 am)Rwandrall Wrote: To those interested, i just tested the reasoning i explained in the OP, and it works ! i have managed to make a hardcore creationist admit that the Bible was at least partly written by men and that the Earth is not 6000 years old.

There is no such thing as a little victory right ? Smile
You did? Kudos then! Smile

(May 12, 2010 at 12:05 pm)Caecilian Wrote:
(May 12, 2010 at 7:56 am)fr0d0 Wrote: I just explained that. These are Godly attributes... eminating from a perfect being. We're not attributing human virtues. Human virtues don't match up... they're half way up the scale.
Highlighting added.

Its weird how you talk about virtues as if they were substances, when in reality they're properties. Goodness can't emanate from something any more than blueness or silliness can. And yes, I know its probably meant as a metaphor, but its misleading rather than informative.
A poor choice for a word, I'd grant you. But I think you got my point.

(May 12, 2010 at 12:05 pm)Caecilian Wrote: And you still haven't answered my earlier point, which is this:

We attribute goodness to people when they choose morally good courses of action, have good as opposed to bad intentions etc. If we had no choice but to make good decisions (if we really could not do otherwise), then would we really be good ourselves? I would say not- we'd just be ethical automatons.

God, as you describe him, is an ethical automaton.
You can't limit God to humanity. If God were a person, he would indeed be an automaton. What he is is the instigator of this reality.

(May 12, 2010 at 12:05 pm)Caecilian Wrote:
Quote:Schmod isn't all powerful in his logical environment. God is.

Well, thats disputable, but I don't see the point in arguing about Schmod. Whats important is that you're now saying that god is all powerful in his logical environment. Since god's logical environment isn't isomorphic with the logical environment of the universe, you're therefore conceding that god is not all powerful within the universe. In other words, he isn't omnipotent.
Schmod can't be all powerful in his logical environment unless purple is logically non affect-able. In that case we're promoting him to God - who we already have a name for.

If God was only within the universe, and restricted to universal law, he wouldn't be omnipotent. But God isn't contained by the universe.

What you're proposing is that God should be able to act illogically. What we have in God is a proposition of something logical and positive. The opposite of that, and the root cause of theological consideration is the separation of confusion and illogic as negative and the opposite of God. The opposite is possible only if you don't logically separate the two in your construction of God.

Dark is nothingness. Light adds something to nothing. Light can't be dark, or nothing, only degrees of 'something'. This positive force cannot in itself produce dark.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Proving the Bible is false in few words. - by fr0d0 - May 12, 2010 at 7:05 pm
RE: Proving the Bible is false in few words. - by fr0d0 - May 19, 2010 at 12:42 pm
RE: Proving the Bible is false in few words. - by fr0d0 - June 4, 2010 at 12:12 pm
RE: Proving the Bible is false in few words. - by fr0d0 - June 4, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proving evolution? LinuxGal 24 2782 March 19, 2023 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44278 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Did Moses really write the first few books of the bible? T.J. 30 2269 November 19, 2021 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The implications of Obama's words at the Charleston shooting memorial. Duty 21 1963 April 13, 2021 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why does god put the needs of the few above the need of the many? Greatest I am 69 5359 February 19, 2021 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The false miracle of Fatima now a movie Foxaèr 17 1684 September 6, 2020 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Christian trigger words Nihilist Virus 173 21133 April 12, 2019 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  World ending on April 23rd, says false prophet Divinity 41 8693 April 27, 2018 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Truer Words Were Never Spoken Minimalist 9 2515 April 23, 2018 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Record few Americans believe in Biblical inerrancy. Jehanne 184 23088 December 31, 2017 at 12:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician