Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 10:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Split Brain Experiment and the Soul
RE: Split Brain Experiment and the Soul
1- i think we really need agree on a useful definition for identity.

2- I think 'it' rests solely in the material. I know you believe that our memory, thoughts, mental processes, whatever may become separate from our nervous system and we disagree here. Could you make your question clearer for me please, or try to explain its meaning or where you are going with this question.

1-

4- i'll be checking out your source but superficially I see a source that profits from providing a confirmation bias.
your source for someone who was accused of 'brain death' who came back alive and was not misdiagnosed seems to be more of an example of 'the out of body experience' than an example of a 'dead person' coming back to life. I find the procedure performed by Dr. Michael Sabom as your example of 'brain death' to be contradictory since doctors, according to your source, consider the procedure "allowed Pam's aneurysm to be excised with a reasonable chance of success."

"his operation, nicknamed "standstill" by the doctors who perform it, required that Pam's body temperature be lowered to 60 degrees, her heartbeat and breathing stopped, her brain waves flattened, and the blood drained from her head. In everyday terms, she was put to death. "

again i see this as an exaggeration. I'm pretty sure that if you drain all the blood out of your head, you will suffer significant brain damage.

finally if you click at the link they provide to the standstill procedure known as hypothermic cardiac arrest, you aren't directed to a reputable scientific or medical source; instead you're directed to another dramatized story about the procedure written in the New York Times in 1990. This doesn't look good for your source's credibility at all... sorry

Messages In This Thread
RE: Split Brain Experiment and the Soul - by The_Flying_Skeptic - May 27, 2010 at 10:37 pm
RE: Split Brain Experiment and the Soul - by tackattack - May 27, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jellyfish have no brain - can they feel pain? Duty 9 971 September 24, 2022 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  J.J. Thompson's Violinist Thought Experiment Concerning Abortion vulcanlogician 29 1823 January 3, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  #1 Thought experiment - "The Trolley Problem" ErGingerbreadMandude 108 12881 May 20, 2016 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Athene
  Mind is the brain? Mystic 301 30454 April 19, 2016 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Consciousness is simply an illusion emergent of a Boltzmann brain configuration.... maestroanth 36 5673 April 10, 2016 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Omniscience: A thought experiment noctalla 58 8029 April 26, 2015 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  A thought experiment: The rainbow temple Escherscurtain 19 4377 August 8, 2014 at 9:46 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  People Addressing The Soul From A State Of Ignorance gomtuu77 7 2151 March 9, 2014 at 10:57 am
Last Post: Kayenneh
  Determinism, Free Will, and A Thought Experiment Mudhammam 14 5704 January 10, 2014 at 4:27 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Monist vs. Dualist Experiment? Neo-Scholastic 148 36799 December 15, 2013 at 7:43 am
Last Post: pocaracas