Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 15, 2024, 7:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
The value of a human life (and why abortion, economics, pulling the plug and triage)
RE: The value of a human life (and why abortion, economics, pulling the plug and triage)
(June 20, 2010 at 5:29 pm)The Omnissiunt One Wrote:
(June 20, 2010 at 3:28 pm)Ashendant Wrote:
(June 20, 2010 at 6:55 am)Synackaon Wrote: Lot of stuff.

I'm going to copy my theory on how to treat abortion here
Quote:Ah the differences between "sentient,sapient" and "sentient,non-sapient" life how interesting, all-or-most animals are sentient, humans are the only sapient being, with a few claims that cetaceans might be sapient, and some of hose arguments hold ground.

So I'm going to comment that all sapient being should be respected as equals to humans(even if other examples are doubt, might as well say preparing for the future yes), sentient beings should be respected as being with emotions but not on the equal round as sapient beings, means that we can hunt and breed them for feeding, this only because it's necessary, with the ability to make meat in laboratory in the future(very-near future), this might kill the necessity to hunt and fish.
I said this to blow the argument that we are hypocrites for killing cows for food and not fetus and babies.

Now I'll explain my argument about abortion.

The fetus is a parasite if unwanted, i mean unwanted as in after serious ponderation, not some state-of-shock claims, a fetus is the beginning of a human being but is not a human being, some people might argue that we should kill the baby no matter what after it has been killed, others say that we should never touch a fetus, as it is a human being, and both claim there isn't a drawn line when it's human or not, or define lines by the wrong parameter(when the heart starts beating),I AGREE WITH NEITHER, there is in fact a clear line when a baby can be judged as a human or not, it's called the brain and when the first electric reactions start in it, this makes it a sapient being that should be respected, in two exceptions, the baby is going to have a serious disease or cripple that the parents can't deal with, and the mother is in danger, that is my opinion on abortion.

For someone else that doesn't know:
-Sentient-the ability to feel or perceive pain and pleasure.
-Sapient-the ability to think abstractly or have "Wisdom"

It is far from necessary at the moment to hunt and fish for food. I manage on a pescetarian diet, and could do so on a vegan diet, with relatively minor consequences for myself. That doesn't mean I think killing cows is necessarily wrong -mainly I'm opposed to the suffering in the meat industry- but, nonetheless, in the West at least, necessity can no longer be used to defend eating meat.

As for abortion, it seems dubious that the baby is capable of abstract thought as soon as its brain starts functioning. Quite what the moral relevance of abstract thought is, I'm not sure, but a baby probably doesn't have that until much later on, probably until after it's born.
I don't know exactly the differences between america and europe in terms of animal slaughter and raising, i think here in europe things are far more humane in that and american super-cow meat is forbidden here(no wonder), eating flesh and fish is a necessity, no matter what vegans say not eating meat/fish is far more dangerous to a persons health than eating it, of course in the very very (very!)near future all or most meat will be grown in laboratory, science is awesome in regards to this, i heard they only had problems in regard to the texture of the meat.

I'm not saying that the baby is capable of abstract thought when he's brain start functioning, i'm saying that the baby should be respected as a sentient and sapient being(the last one due to heritage) when he's brain starts functioning when he can feel pain and pleasure as a sentient being, and because the brain is what define being human(despise ChristianWorshipbeliefs that the heart is what make a human human), the grey matter is what matters.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The value of a human life (and why abortion, economics, pulling the plug and triage) - by Ashendant - June 20, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  J.J. Thompson's Violinist Thought Experiment Concerning Abortion vulcanlogician 29 1823 January 3, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Do humans have inherent value? Macoleco 39 2270 June 14, 2021 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
Information I hate human race,civilization and people in groups. MountainsWinAgain 48 14457 March 25, 2020 at 11:21 pm
Last Post: Macoleco
  Machine Intelligence and Human Ethics BrianSoddingBoru4 24 1963 May 28, 2019 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Feral Children and the initial human state WinterHold 1 906 December 10, 2018 at 5:00 am
Last Post: Maketakunai
  After birth abortion? Mystical 109 9465 August 19, 2018 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Why I'm here: a Muslim. My Philosophy in life. What is yours;Muslim? WinterHold 43 8426 May 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Ultimate Value and the signs of it in ourselves. Mystic 210 25016 November 18, 2017 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 15493 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  What is 'objective' value? henryp 159 21952 January 24, 2016 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam