Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 15, 2024, 11:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
The value of a human life (and why abortion, economics, pulling the plug and triage)
RE: The value of a human life (and why abortion, economics, pulling the plug and triage)
(June 20, 2010 at 6:55 am)Synackaon Wrote: In matter of a developing fetus, during the early to mid stages of growth there is insufficient brain mass, folding and electrical activity to sustain the potential for that individual to grow into a functioning adult. This area of philosophy, if you are curious, is often called the potentiality argument. Often it is used to argue against abortion, however I am using it to show that a developing fetus during much of its development is fundamentally a nonperson. If it were to be removed or birthed during those times and it's body was kept functionally alive, it would never develop into a thinking individual. No exceptions. That is due to the complexity of biology involved.

Syn, your concept of potentiality seem to center around the potentiality of a child/fetus only after it is separated from its mother. What is the basis for this? Wouldn't it be more logical or flow more naturally to argue potentiality from the perspective of what is potentially possible if the fetus is left in its normal place (i.e., in the mother's womb if it is fetus/pre-born baby, or in the parent's care after birth)? In fact, you go on to say:

"To establish the clear illegality of destroying an infant without consent as another, one must recall that an infant has the clear potential, assuming all bodily needs are met, to develop into a thinking individual. "

If "assuming all bodily needs are met" is part of the analysis of potentiality, then it seem to me this would seem to support the idea that potentiality should be assessed from the perspective of what is potentially possible if the fetus is left in its normal place, not after separation from its mother.

(June 20, 2010 at 6:55 am)Synackaon Wrote: This system of thought thoroughly discards emotion in favor of potential, where potential to develop into/further as a thinking being and the potential to live to the maximum age. This is due to the tied nature of aging (time) and the development of thought, or as we physicists say:

d(developingThought)
-----------------
d(time)

Wherever the rate is highest implies the highest value, the lowest, the lowest value. Therefore the most valuable are the developed beings with the best cognitive development. But consider this - this is an equivalency statement for only one (1) individual. An infant is less valuable than a child, a child less than a teen, a teen less than an adult, with an adult more valuable than the elderly.

As an aside, I never knew that physics dealt with issues such as potentiality of human life such that physicists would be known to say d(developing thought)/d(time). Wink

Anyway, are the "d"s here refering to changes? It seems so. And if that is the case, I fail to see how you reach the conclusion that "An infant is less valuable than a child, a child less than a teen, a teen less than an adult, with an adult more valuable than the elderly". It seems pretty evident to me that children do a lot more developing (even in mind) per unit of time than adults do and that such development/time decreases as time goes on (the older one gets the less development there is per unit of time). Of course this is a generalization and individuals may vary on this depending on how ambitious they are in developing as they age, but I think it is valid generally. If so, then it would seem that a child would be more valuable than a teen, a teen more valuable then an adult. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on this.

Please note, my arguments above should not be taken in any way that I agree that potentiality should be the basis for making life/death decisions for individuals (including preborn ones) or making judgements of the value of individuals.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The value of a human life (and why abortion, economics, pulling the plug and triage) - by rjh4 - June 21, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  J.J. Thompson's Violinist Thought Experiment Concerning Abortion vulcanlogician 29 1827 January 3, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Do humans have inherent value? Macoleco 39 2270 June 14, 2021 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
Information I hate human race,civilization and people in groups. MountainsWinAgain 48 14474 March 25, 2020 at 11:21 pm
Last Post: Macoleco
  Machine Intelligence and Human Ethics BrianSoddingBoru4 24 1981 May 28, 2019 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Feral Children and the initial human state WinterHold 1 908 December 10, 2018 at 5:00 am
Last Post: Maketakunai
  After birth abortion? Mystical 109 9468 August 19, 2018 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Why I'm here: a Muslim. My Philosophy in life. What is yours;Muslim? WinterHold 43 8428 May 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Ultimate Value and the signs of it in ourselves. Mystic 210 25024 November 18, 2017 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 15496 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  What is 'objective' value? henryp 159 21954 January 24, 2016 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam