Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 6, 2024, 12:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
do you worry about if anything bad would happen if christianity died?
RE: do you worry about if anything bad would happen if christianity died?
I think it depends pretty much on whether the religion dies slowly, or all at once. In a slow death, at least the most likely one to befall modern christianity, it'd just continue hemorrhaging adherents until nobody worth a damn is left and the whole shebang is so irrelevant as to make its death meaningless.

On the other hand, were this to be a sudden thing, if suddenly we discovered something that makes christianity a completely untenable position- if, in other words, current day christians were suddenly thrust into a world where their treasured religious beliefs were invalidated explicitly and undeniably- then I think we'd get some very dramatic flouncing going on. See, particularly fundagelical christians are more likely to take disagreement with their positions as a personal affront, and they aren't exactly apt to take correction well either. I can see those types giving up on their charitable works and so on in the most public, loud way possible, making it half punishment for daring to disagree with them, and half overly theatrical argument from consequences to try and get people back under their nice comfortable status quo anyway. For a lot of right wing christians the whole charity schtick has never been about helping others anyway, just about projecting that image. Every other cherished tenet of their religion has been used as a weapon to get at dissenters before, I can't exactly see their "charity" being used any differently if they needed to.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Messages In This Thread
RE: do you worry about if anything bad would happen if christianity died? - by Esquilax - February 12, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4302 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one? Fake Messiah 31 3252 July 17, 2019 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Losty
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11419 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Yeah, not going to happen!! Mystic 29 4797 October 18, 2018 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Response to Darkmatter2525 ""Why Does Anything Matter?" Eik0932 23 2869 September 26, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  If you could replace god with satan, would you? Foxaèr 37 6545 April 28, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Atheism in control would be bad Radieo31 66 14206 January 13, 2018 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Is anything sacred? (Extra credit for specifying what it is for you.) Whateverist 55 7171 November 17, 2017 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Two scenarios that may/may not happen. RayOfLight 85 17152 November 2, 2017 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Never had that happen before Astonished 6 2526 August 11, 2017 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37