Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 4, 2024, 10:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devil's advocate for why ontology is meaningless and vacuous.
RE: Devil's advocate for why ontology is meaningless and vacuous.
(September 11, 2016 at 7:08 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote: @ Rob

I see what you mean by it all being labelling... as you said here:

Quote: If nothing is "real" at all, that is fine.

Replace this sentence with "If everything is "real", that is fine" or "if nothing is "imaginary" at all, that is fine" or "if everything is "imaginary", that is fine" and nothing changes... indeed... all labels.

It's also why I said this in the OP:
Quote:In summary I'd conclude that ontology is meaningless. 'Being' is indefinable and therefore no different to 'nothingness' because nothingness can't be anything anyway because it's nothing. There is no nothing.

Let's say I replaced that with the following:
Quote:In summary I'd conclude that nothingness is meaningless. 'Nothingness' is indefinable and therefore no different to 'Being' because 'Being' itself has to be everything which is indistinguiable from it being nothing. All there is is 'Being'.

What's the difference between the two? I'd say in reality it makes no difference and is labels. The first one is bascially saying "Existence is indefinable  and there is no such thing as nothing" and the second one is saying "Nothingness is in definable and every thing is a thing".

It's rather like how "everything is equally different to everything else" and "everything is equally similar to everything else" is saying the same thing regardless of "different" and "similar" having opposite meanings.

What do you reckon?

Yes, I think that makes sense to me! If you can't define what "existence" is, you can't define what the lack of it is, either. You can just say whether a label applies, or not. We're just trying to make sense of our surroundings as best we can.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Messages In This Thread
RE: Devil's advocate for why ontology is meaningless and vacuous. - by robvalue - September 11, 2016 at 7:21 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why free will probably does not exist, and why we should stop treating people - WisdomOfTheTrees 22 4583 February 8, 2017 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Theists and Atheists: the "is there a God Devil's advocate thread Alex K 60 11788 October 30, 2015 at 7:22 am
Last Post: ignoramus
Lightbulb In the universe there is no meaning nor is it meaningless FractalEternalWheel 5 2764 January 18, 2014 at 1:40 am
Last Post: Faith No More
Information The Meaningless of Life. Big Blue Sky 20 4043 May 30, 2013 at 5:11 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Ontology of God--Theological Noncognitivist View Knight 132 60861 January 28, 2010 at 8:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet