Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 12, 2024, 8:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What gives a religion the right to claim their fantasy is correct and the rest false?
RE: What gives a religion the right to claim their fantasy is correct?
(November 14, 2016 at 10:01 pm)Casca Wrote: Science is based on evidence, facts, and theories supported by evidence and fact.

So what exactly gives one religion the leg to stand on and say "this religion is true, the rest are false", when there is no evidence or fact to back up their claim?

I can't speak for every existing religion in the world, so I shall stick to mine and what I personally think. As far as I am concerned, I base my choice to be religious upon two things:

1. I'm convinced that Christ's person understood as an existential model is better than any other I have come close to. 

2. I find my religious experiences compelling. 

Of course, I am well aware that there are numerous questions and challenges that might be posed to these two theses. I don't claim to be 100% certain about my beliefs. In fact, I have doubted my religion over the course of last 5/6 years. I just find these reasons sufficient to convince myself. It's my reasons, not necessarily anyone's else who shares my religious views. That's exactly why I don't go around trying to convince others that I am necessarily right, whilst others has to be wrong. Nor I think that, just because I believe what I believe, every other religion has to be 100% wrong. The truth is that there are similarities, sometimes even substantial, between different religions. It follows that, due to similarities, other religions or denominations (to the extent to which they are similar to mine) has to be true. 

As to the 70,000 denominations within Christianity, it seems to be a false dilemma. If most of these denominations originated in a couple of last centuries, from which most of them were established during the last two centuries or less, I fail to see how they can claim to be even a putative candidate for genuine Christianity. To the best of our knowledge, Christian church was established sometime during the first century AD. If we are aware of that, for someone attempting to find genuine Christian church it is legitimate to eliminate all those thousands of denominations. It turns out we are left with a few dozen churches that fulfili this basic requirement for genuine Christianity. In other words, we are left with churches that possess continuous existence from the 1st century AD to our days.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What gives a religion the right to claim their fantasy is correct? - by BeeDeePee - November 19, 2016 at 4:26 am
clarification - by BeeDeePee - November 20, 2016 at 3:46 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1274 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Right of freedom of religion should not be a human right Macoleco 19 1624 May 26, 2021 at 1:10 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  When believing false things is comforting Foxaèr 45 5357 September 26, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Raw Story gives a voice to atheists.... Brian37 8 1647 October 17, 2018 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  If God of Abraham books are false Smain 6 2068 June 26, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3868 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  This Will Cause Believers To Lose Their Shit Minimalist 36 8608 March 30, 2018 at 11:14 am
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Christians and Their Homework! chimp3 78 9306 March 6, 2018 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Republicans seem hell bent on proving their god does not exist Foxaèr 7 2303 December 23, 2017 at 4:23 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  How and why can people ignore their God’s immoral ways? Greatest I am 129 20165 November 27, 2017 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Cod