Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 3, 2024, 4:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist?
RE: Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist?
(November 25, 2016 at 1:59 pm)Tonus Wrote:
(November 25, 2016 at 9:57 am)Brian37 Wrote: Our species makes up these artificial clubs as a way of creating social order to make excuses as to getting at resources.

As a social species, it's natural for us to form closed groups and use all kinds of mental biases to inflate the importance and value of our own group versus any other.  Religion is a pretty sophisticated way of doing that, in that it involves the creation of the ultimate alpha male that the group follows even if they cannot interact with him in any way.  It's also a very ugly way of doing that, in that it makes it much easier to excuse --and even encourage-- the worst kinds of behavior.  Yahweh of the OT doesn't even pretend that he's offering peace to the world; he bloodies his knuckles and goads his followers into massacring groups of people and sometimes even their livestock.  There is nothing necessary about what he does.  It's pure bloodlust.

Evolution is an imperfect system that often involves conflict between species and even within a species.  Not the most ideal way to promote the continued survival of any particular species, as evidenced by the high rates of extinction that life on Earth experiences.  A perfect system would involve a high level of cooperation both within a species and between all species so that the efforts to maintain balance did not require as much violent aggression and killing as our planet experiences.  Our world doesn't point to the existence of God.  Heck, neither do our gods.

No, religion is NOT "sophisticated" People do create complex structures and religion can be complex and political, yes, but that still does not change the fact it is born out of the ignorance of antiquity. That is where that "bloodlust" is born from. Even the polytheism of antiquity worldwide, humans had much shorter lifespans and with the advent of cities that evolutionary cooperation made you dependent on the ruling family and or ruling class. Those at the top unfortunately mistook their success as coming from a divine place, not even the earliest myths of Buddhism escape these motifs.

Our problem today as a species is that we are still using old antiquated ideas of tribalism on a planet where there is no more room to expand or conquer each other.

I do agree that evolution is not perfect one bit which makes the idea of a god being involved even that much more absurd to claim.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? - by Brian37 - November 25, 2016 at 6:08 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church. Nishant Xavier 36 1881 August 6, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Dr. Bill Craig's Debates: Why do Atheists lose/run away from debating him? Nishant Xavier 123 7142 August 6, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  360 Million Christians Suffering Persecution: why arent Atheists helping? Nishant Xavier 48 2134 July 16, 2023 at 10:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1043 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Atheists will worship the Antichrist and become theists during the Tribulation Preacher 53 3279 November 13, 2022 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Athiest parent sending child to Catholic school EchoEllis 36 5282 December 2, 2021 at 10:24 am
Last Post: brewer
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2876 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 2000 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  [Serious] Why I consider Atheists the Dumbest of the Dumb theMadJW 63 8242 May 13, 2020 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Draconic Aiur
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 13645 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie