Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 3, 2024, 7:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist?
RE: Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist?
(December 19, 2016 at 6:14 am)robvalue Wrote:
(December 19, 2016 at 5:06 am)Hezekiah Wrote: Hi Balaco! Even as a Christian, I can always respect a position of healthy skepticism. Smile  Tell me, have you ever considered that maybe the evidence of whether God exist or not, is the same evidence? As in, whether you choose to believe in a God (or absence of God(s)), all of the evidence will support your position. 

So in essence, it all starts with you. What do you want to believe?

Belief is not a choice. No one (unless they are crazy) can simply toggle their beliefs on and off. We base our beliefs, or lack of, or beliefs to the contrary, on evidence of some sort. What counts as evidence to each person, and how convincing it is, varies wildly. But each person has reasons for their beliefs. You can't make those reasons disappear because you want to believe something different. A change in belief requires new evidence, a re-assessment of the current evidence, or a revision of the methods used to assess evidence. (Screwing with your brain directly could of course alter your beliefs, for example with surgery or drugs.)

You can of course pretend to believe whatever you want.

And of course, as I always find myself saying, without a falsifiable definition for God, there can't even be any evidence. There are just rationalising arguments and baseless assumptions.

I think we're sacks of bio-matter that works through some very definable chemical reactions.
As such, each of us is going to believe whatever their bio-makeup "decides". "We" don't evaluate evidence.... our brains do... our brains, in their pre-determined, but ever changing and adapting Neural Network, does it all without any awareness being required.
We then become aware of our beliefs... the decisions made in our brain.

And some of us are equally pre-determined to be spreading out those beliefs, some are pre-determined to be imposing them on children, some are pre-determined to not care, some are pre-determined to get other brains to understand how beliefs work.
All those provide information for other brains to work on and come to their own conclusions... knowing full well that any pre-conceived conclusion is far more difficult to correct than any newly formed one.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? - by pocaracas - December 19, 2016 at 6:35 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church. Nishant Xavier 36 1881 August 6, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Dr. Bill Craig's Debates: Why do Atheists lose/run away from debating him? Nishant Xavier 123 7142 August 6, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  360 Million Christians Suffering Persecution: why arent Atheists helping? Nishant Xavier 48 2134 July 16, 2023 at 10:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1043 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Atheists will worship the Antichrist and become theists during the Tribulation Preacher 53 3279 November 13, 2022 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Athiest parent sending child to Catholic school EchoEllis 36 5282 December 2, 2021 at 10:24 am
Last Post: brewer
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2876 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 2000 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  [Serious] Why I consider Atheists the Dumbest of the Dumb theMadJW 63 8243 May 13, 2020 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Draconic Aiur
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 13646 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie