Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 18, 2024, 11:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone notice Blue states tend to me more fiscally responsible?
RE: Anyone notice Blue states tend to me more fiscally responsible?
(February 28, 2017 at 11:43 am)mh.brewer Wrote: You're a bit off topic. The conversation is/was about states. 

Do you have a comment on how blue states are fiscally more responsible than red? 

Fair enough.

All that government spending, I don't like to think of it all as spending; I prefer to think of it as investing.  The difference is, investing pays off in the long run.  I posted an article about it a while back in this forum.  The state of Utah had a new solution to homelessness: give apartments to the homeless.  Sure enough, homelessness is basically gone from the state and the state is spending less on this housing program than it spent dealing with the homeless.  They actually saved money here.  Saving money is fiscal responsibility.

And that isn't really the only way these investments pay off.  Investing in schools pay off with a better educated population and a better trained workforce.  Investing in roads makes transportation easier.  Investments in police and firefighters give us safer communities.  And, let's face it, poverty turns into crime, so investing in poverty reduction efforts also pays off in that we have less crime.

On the other hand, look at how Republicans love to spend money.  They give tax incentives to billionaires, which they, in turn, dump into off-shore accounts, safely away from both our tax codes and the rest of our economy.  Or they spend their money making the kind of risky investments that crashed the economy in 2008.  I know, their economic ideology says that if you give "job creators" money, they'll use that money to create jobs.  The problem most businesses have isn't taxation; they just don't have the customers.  Build a middle class, build demand for the services and products that businesses sell and you'll do a much better at creating jobs than throwing money at CEO's.  

Cliff notes:  Republican investments don't work.  Democrat investments do.  Or did, but that's another issue.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama

Messages In This Thread
RE: Anyone notice Blue states tend to me more fiscally responsible? - by TaraJo - February 28, 2017 at 9:49 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The United States now enters the phase of mass executions. Jehanne 48 4202 November 18, 2022 at 1:52 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why don't Southern states outlaw interracial marriage? Jehanne 12 1180 July 26, 2022 at 7:55 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  The United States and the growing divide zwanzig 73 3900 September 24, 2021 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
Information The United States has not spent $ 300 million a day on war in Afghanistan. alextruesay 60 3478 August 26, 2021 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Blue Lives Don't Exist Foxaèr 236 12523 October 17, 2020 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Vote Blue, no matter who Foxaèr 45 3110 February 9, 2020 at 5:31 am
Last Post: Prime Time
  Vote Blue No Matter Who! Foxaèr 18 1432 June 30, 2019 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Seven states bar people with a criminal record from receiving victim's compensation Angrboda 34 2482 September 23, 2018 at 5:16 am
Last Post: viocjit
  Ever notice that there are little to no trolls on sites like La Times or WaPo GODZILLA 4 723 June 30, 2018 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Are we morally responsible for the making of what we purchase? Coveny 5 1068 March 16, 2018 at 10:52 pm
Last Post: rskovride