Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth
RE: Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth
(August 8, 2017 at 3:36 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(August 8, 2017 at 3:04 pm)rjh4 is back Wrote: I never said life cannot come from nonliving matter. Within my worldview the Biblical God can certainly do it. 

Well, there's one instance of special pleading right there.

I don't think special pleading applies here.

Special Pleading: Applying standards, principles, and/or rules to other people or circumstances, while making oneself or certain circumstances exempt from the same critical criteria, without providing adequate justification.

So what standard am I applying to you (general you) and exempting myself from? Any worldview would have the obligation of explaining life from non-life. Mine is that God did it because my presuppositions are that God exists and the Bible is the Word of God. Why would I be required to provide more. My answer flows logically from my presuppositions. You may think it is silly but it does flow logically. If yours is that matter/energy exist and all comes from this and naturalistic processes, it is your obligation to explain how. If you cannot, that is fine. But taking those presuppositions, it seems to that you would be limited to a naturalistic explanation where my position is not so limited.

Quote:Have you never heard of autocatalytic reactions, or scaffolding, or clay substrates?

There are several hypotheses regarding how it might happen. They all have the advantage of not appealing to the supernatural in order to explain natural phenomena.

Sure...so? The also have the disadvantage that scientists cannot reproduce life from non-life still. Come talk to me when they actually create life from non-life. Otherwise, all the hypotheses are really meaningless and prove nothing. Could I prove creation by coming up with a hypothesis as to how God created? I think not. So neither do the naturalistic hypotheses prove anything.

(August 8, 2017 at 3:54 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Then why the fuck are you trying to say "God could" in reference to atoms and molecular structure? I agree that the bible is not a science textbook, so stop trying to argue REAL science with it. 

Your old book of mythology and the fictional head character you call God do not explain in any real measure how atoms and molecules behave under certain conditions and processes. God of the gaps does not work. 

Then just ask "Your position is what?" You can drop the word "worldview".

Where did I try to argue "REAL" science with the Bible?

I agree that the Bible does not explain how atoms and molecules behave under certain conditions and processes. So? What is your point. Did I say it did? You should spend some time reading what I say or ask and answering that instead of assuming I am saying something I am not.

What is your problem with the word "worldview"? It is actually a better word to use as it is more accurate at getting at what I would like to know, i.e., what are your presuppositions and how do they rationally lead to your conclusion. So just think of that when I use the word and it shouldn't seem so offensive to you.

I find it very interesting that I originally asked why none of you atheists here thought of critiquing Min's post and all I have gotten is name calling and people asserting that I said things I did not. My questions are never answered but unsupported statements are provided.

Is this how atheists argue rationally?

There must be someone here that can have a discussion about issues and positions without getting emotional and calling names.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth - by rjh4 is back - August 8, 2017 at 4:05 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earth's Gravity Hole Bucky Ball 2 572 July 29, 2023 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The shape of Earth h311inac311 162 25265 December 4, 2022 at 1:06 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Young Earth Creationism LinuxGal 3 813 November 26, 2022 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Earth’s energy budget is out of balance Jehanne 5 588 August 20, 2021 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  NASA: Asteroid Could Still Hit Earth in 2068 WinterHold 52 4396 November 7, 2020 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Possible signs of life found in the atmosphere of Venus zebo-the-fat 11 1506 September 14, 2020 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Did Einstein Say Light is Massive? Rhondazvous 25 3167 July 8, 2019 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Puzzling thing about Speed of Light/Speed of Causality vulcanlogician 25 2663 August 24, 2018 at 11:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Irresponsible caretakers of Earth ignoramus 50 7427 April 9, 2018 at 8:12 am
Last Post: JackRussell
  How Cn Gravity Affect Light When Light Has No Mass? Rhondazvous 18 1884 March 2, 2018 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: polymath257